• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The rifle with the meteor sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mick C,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am so slow at this that you might not live long enough to get me to complete a rifle for you...worse yet, I might not live long enough :)

Dave C

I'll take anyone you have ready,,,don't wait ship it today!!!I might live long enough to pay you for it,,if not we'll just call it even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mistakes? What mistakes?

That rifle is gorgeous beyond belief! I saw it on the contemporary makers blog and I loved the bit in the writeup about the ball being guided to its mark by a piece of a star. Brilliant work!

DonPiano,

Thanks for the encouragement. It was fun to make the sights out of the meteor. Haven't had a chance to shoot the rifle yet, so I don't know how well that "piece of a star" thing works. I will let you know.

DC

Just thought I would post this update on the rifle with the meteor sights:

Ok....I finally got a chance to go shoot this "Kibler Copy" I built with the sights made from a meteor.    I only had an hour or so at the range (and two rifles I wanted to shoot) so I only had enough time to get a few rounds through each rifle to see where the sights were shooting.  I didn't have time to make any adjustments.  Here are the first four shots at 50 yards, .530 round ball, 0.012" thick patch, 75 grains of FFg, from rest........

IMG_2550_zpsokhwr3xu.jpg

Shooting at a 5 1/2 inch black, 6 o'clock hold on the black, this group came out good for windage but 5 inches below target center.  I would like to sight the rifle in at 100 yards and the front sight needs to come down a fair amount, but I was pleased with the group. When I get a chance too I want to try the method of using a .005" under bore size ball and an "are you kidding me" too thick wet patch....seems to work for several good shooters...and I put a good radius on the muzzle crown in preparation for that kind of a load.  Wish me luck!

Dave,

Try same charge but a .015 patch & a .535 ball. That is my most accurate ball for my .54 cal.
Actually .65 grains holds the best group for it.
I use the load you are shooting & that ball for deer hunting, as it is easier to load.
I shot 37 deer with that load in this rifle. (we are allowed 2 a day for 75 day season)

I have built allot of .54 cal rifles & every one of them has shot well with .015 patch, 65 grains of
FF or FFF, and a .530 or a .535 RB.

Keith

Back