• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Squire's new gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
It takes TC cut agates which is good because if you don't get the flints placed just right it doesn't work.

The engraving is mostly hidden under a layer of cloudy varnish but very nice where it's exposed. May have been redone, if so then whoever did it did good. If I catch the light right you can see it

I'm going to try it out on Sunday, see if it blows up ::

What do you use to resharpen an agate? Is there some gizmo?

mant2.jpg

You might be able to sharpen them with a course diamond file like they use for the Dura-flints. Nice looking gun by the way.

Dont know about the agates, but that is a nice looking gun. Maybe you could post some more pics and tell some about it. I guess 1830'ish? Have fun shooting it.

Well, you can of course use both ends of the agate. After that you can use a two dollar bill. Buy another stone. I suppose you could use a lapidary saw to re-edge them, but they'd get a lot shorter in a real hurry. Agates never satisfied me, but if it's all that'll work on the lock, then you have to use them. What size does it use?

Squire,
A John Manton double-gun flint in that astonish good condition! :thumbsup:Why didnt I think of wishing that for Christmas-gift!! ::
Do you load it with frizzen closed, not using powder in pan to get a fast ignition?
Congratulation to a swell gun!! :peace:
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Very unique...with the "Dragoon" shaped trigger guard!!!

Rat

I haven't fired it yet. We did a Boxing day clay shoot but that was cartridge guns, muzzle loaders is first Sunday of the month and that's day after tomorrow.

I think I might just pretend it's nothing special, maybe forget I ever heard the name Manton :: ::

OTOH, taking your new toy to one of our ML clay shoots is the fastest way to find out everything that's wrong with it :crackup:

I have one pack of TC #7203 agates, didn't know there were other sizes. These could be 1/16" shorter for best, 3/16" shorter max. Too short and things start hitting the frizzen.

Can you really buy agates for $2 :thumbsup:

mant4.jpg

Squire, be those damascus barrels I spy on that piece? I say, chop those barrels down to 14" and call it the "Mantonian Mauler"! :: By the way, could you tell us the bore size? :thumbsup:

Over 28 inches of pure London damascene, plus the breeching ::

'tis a 16 gauge and I'd rather not saw it off unless you absolutely insist.

mant3.jpg

Robin, just knap the agates just like you would a knapped flint. I buy my agates for $1.75cad last time I bought. I rarely get less than 100 shots from one. Usually get 130 -150. 28" barrels eh!! cool. I have a line on a set of 28" 16g patterned steel barrels ( from Doug Miller) to make a sxs flint but thought they were a bit short. Perhaps not. The 12g I'm making now has 30.5" + the plugs. What is the length/gauge of the other sxs flints you have?

Cody

What is the length/gauge of the other sxs flints you have?

It's getting late/early, I've been celebrating and they're all locked away, I'll measure them tomorrow.

A 28" 16 gauge is okay for post 1800, I suggest you bend over the top leaf on your pineapple, fit
a round tailed lock and call it 1810 :thumbsup:

BTW, Happy new year ::

Santa must fly East to West and run out of the good stuff before he gets to Kentucky. My hat is off for being such a good boy last year. :master:

Lovely - stubb twist- looks like - Very nice indeed - and the lock's condition and appearance- what a wonderful treasure!
: When my bro tried Agates many years ago, he knapped them as normal for flint. Your locks appear that 5/8" or 5/8" square flint should work. You didn't say why you had to use agates- other then to get it to work? - no-comprendo
: Thankyou for sharing - Yes indeed - Happy New Year
Everyone!

I'd rather not saw it off unless you absolutely insist.
Oh, but I do, good sir! And...I want the resulting 14" stubbs mailed to me as proof! ::Seriously, I would never actually suggest the wanton hacksawing of such a lovely old piece! I hope all goes well. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Back