• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think I turned another one to the DARK side..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scrimshaw said:
Then I guess my question is:
Are the majority of Ohio BP hunters traditional firearm users nowadays?

It dont matter.. You know what you got and at the very least you can "out-class" the compition. :wink:
Go have a GREAT hunt and allow the others to notice and admire what you are doing.

Your right it lies with the youth but it also lies with each of use. Many times even in this forum the inline guys are slammed they are the easiest to convert, they just need to be approached respectfully and given the opportunity to try a flinter, then they get hooked most wont go out and shell out 500-10,000 on a gun unless it interest them. Just saying my take on it.

While I don't really like in%&^(s and prefer the traditional guns we discuss here, the in&*() does provide an opportunity for converts. Here is the way I see it. While most of us here agree that for the most part, the only thing we have in common is that we all load from the front, I would say that these guns allow a future convert to try our sport while using a gun with modern lines like they are used to and provide a stepping stone. I have met quite a few people who tried my traditionals (cap and flint) while they were shooting their plastic guns, and then bought traditionals. Some sooner, some later, but as long as they do it, it helps us and firearms of any kind in general. Most modern shooters give m a funny look when I hand them my GPR after thay have been shooting an AR. But give them a little time to get used to an in^&* instead of jumping straight to traditionals, and eventually they see the light. My first ML was a CVA St. Louis Hawken caplock, and I shot it against guys using modern guns, and eventually started doing well against them. A few bought traditionals of their own right off the bat, but most who wanted to try MLing went to in^&*(s, and once they realized how much more fun those of us in the traditional crown were having and still keeping up with of beating them, many of them slowly switched over. I've lost touch with most of that group, but the ones I still talk to still use their traditional guns at least on occasion. So I say embrace the new fangled things, but with an eye towards educating and as an introduction, instead of chasing off everyone who uses one. There's a traditional shooter inside many of the in%^&*crowd, but most of them need our help to figure that out.

Lonegun1894 said:
While I don't really like in%&^(s and prefer the traditional guns we discuss here, the in&*() does provide an opportunity for converts. Here is the way I see it. While most of us here agree that for the most part, the only thing we have in common is that we all load from the front, I would say that these guns allow a future convert to try our sport while using a gun with modern lines like they are used to and provide a stepping stone. I have met quite a few people who tried my traditionals (cap and flint) while they were shooting their plastic guns, and then bought traditionals. Some sooner, some later, but as long as they do it, it helps us and firearms of any kind in general. Most modern shooters give m a funny look when I hand them my GPR after thay have been shooting an AR. But give them a little time to get used to an in^&* instead of jumping straight to traditionals, and eventually they see the light. My first ML was a CVA St. Louis Hawken caplock, and I shot it against guys using modern guns, and eventually started doing well against them. A few bought traditionals of their own right off the bat, but most who wanted to try MLing went to in^&*(s, and once they realized how much more fun those of us in the traditional crown were having and still keeping up with of beating them, many of them slowly switched over. I've lost touch with most of that group, but the ones I still talk to still use their traditional guns at least on occasion. So I say embrace the new fangled things, but with an eye towards educating and as an introduction, instead of chasing off everyone who uses one. There's a traditional shooter inside many of the in%^&*crowd, but most of them need our help to figure that out.

BINGO! that is eaaxctly how I was converted!

I apologize to everyone who just had to read my post above :shocked2: . I think my intent is clear, but apparently I need to NOT post anything before I get some sleep after finishing a shift at work cause I can't spell :doh: .

I may be living in another world( and I hope it's 200 years ago), but I see a trend back to the old ways. Technology has run rampant and is starting to bore a portion of our fraternity. While some bowhunter's are going with the fade crossbow, many are returning to the longbow and recurve. Our small group of traditional shooters and hunters are gravitating back in time for the challenge that has been lost with the advancement in the inline industry. We need to keep the movement going forward, no matter how it might affect our solitude.

Yeah I noticed that too. I think there is a "coolness factor" for the bowman (sorry to all the ladies who read this forum... I meant bow-person) who uses a traditional bow for hunting. I have seen some repros of Mongolian bows as well as longbows, and my Daughter now wants a Mongolian style bow...(she's a big fan of The Hunger Games and Brave)

I know the fact that I harvest all my deer with a flinter puts some of the folks at the range in awe..., I try to talk them in to trying mine, and talk about the accuracy, it's not as hard as they think... it rarely if ever works, 'cept for my coworker that I mentioned :haha:.

I'd rather less mystique and more folks joining the hobby.... :idunno:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
Yeah I noticed that too. I think there is a "coolness factor" for the bowman (sorry to all the ladies who read this forum... I meant bow-person) who uses a traditional bow for hunting. I have seen some repros of Mongolian bows as well as longbows, and my Daughter now wants a Mongolian style bow...(she's a big fan of The Hunger Games and Brave)

I know the fact that I harvest all my deer with a flinter puts some of the folks at the range in awe..., I try to talk them in to trying mine, and talk about the accuracy, it's not as hard as they think... it rarely if ever works, 'cept for my coworker that I mentioned :haha:.

I'd rather less mystique and more folks joining the hobby.... :idunno:

LD

yes!!!
the the mongolian bow - they're (as we say here in Vermont) 'wicked cool' ... my eldest daughter has one and she loves it! ... not a very heavy draw (i think hers is in the 35 - 45 pound range) but the shape and the set up are super elegant.

(here's where i ' 'fess up' - i use a new PSE Rally - wherein i succumb to gadgetry and new techno stuff)

having 'fessed up - i encourage you to go with the mongul bow ...

just one guy's free opinion...

Dont feel bad, cause you're not alone. I have been hunting with a compound bow for years, and bowfishing with a recurve, but I finally bought a longbow to start hunting with the fall of 2013, so I hope to make up for my past sins of using a bow with trainig wheels, and start hunting the archery season like it was meant to be hunted.

I wonder if we shouldn't approach our younger hunter's differently? Hunter safety instructors could do more to introduce the youth to traditional firearms and bows, than the latest in "beanpole" rifles. Vt. in the summer outdoor camps does introduce the sidelock rifles, but there is little opportunity to actually shoot the weapons. You can still find suitable entry level traditional firearms second hand at very inexpensive prices due to the lack of popularity. Once the economics of traditional shooting and hunting is realized, our ranks will start to swell.

I am a Hunters Ed. Instructor, my co-instructor and I make it a point to explain the workings of the traditional M'lers as well as we try and glorify the use of such. Hoping to make a difference.. even if it's just a small one.

That makes two of us, but I do it in Texas, and we don't have a ML season like some states, so I have to try and sell the challenge and limitations as opposed to a suppository gun or in^&*(. A few have taken me up on it and have met me outside of class to try mine, and last I heard, 3-4 of those have actually gotten traditionals of their own, but the majority stick with their modern guns.

If you were to slyly couch the introduction to the muzzleloader as a gun only for the smarter more cunning hunter, I bet you'd get more guys interested in them as you train.

Men tend to react to the sly hint they are not smart enough to do something by doing it and showing you up.
Not something that will work well on a woman. She will typically just go for the easiest way to get the kill done, without care about the ego challenge hanging in the air.

Cynthialee said:
If you were to slyly couch the introduction to the muzzleloader as a gun only for the smarter more cunning hunter,

Thats kinda how we do it..I also offer to all my Hunters Ed. students a free 2 hr, private, non DNR sanctioned,class on Traditional M'lers. A beginners class of sorts at my house where they all get a chance to load, fire and learn how to properly clean a Traditional M'ler. They have to sign a waiver and a parent must be present. I've done this for two years now. The only problem is that the kids have been sitting for two days listening to me rant on and on about Hunting safety, that most even though there interested opt. to not come to the M'ler class directly after my Hunters ed class. I think it's too much info at one time.. I have had 4 students so far. Out of about 50 ( for hunters ed.)per year average from the last two years.. not a good ratio..
:(

Cynthialee said:
Do you let them know that when they come over that the class room setting is gone and there will be lots of hands on?

It ALWAYS the "thrill of the touch" isnt it?

When I do classes, I try to do as much hands on as possible with everything, weather it is firearms of various types, first aid, or firestarting, or anything else that may be beneficial to them in the field. It seems to help a lot of people and keeps their attention longer, and I just think they learn more in the end.

Latest posts

Back