• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

thompson center serial numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas duncan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a thompson center .50 cal today. says HAWKEN on the barrel and the serial starts with 340
any idea how old then gun is?

It's doubtful that anyone knows the age of your gun.

Thompson Center had a fire which destroyed all of the records of the serial numbers of the old guns.

ok another problem I have is that i have a green mountian replacement barrel that is supposed to just drop in on the thompson center rifles.

Well it seems that the lock plate needs to be cut out for the snail part of the breeh. in order for this barrel to fit.

and one last thing there is some slight pitting in the barrel that came with the rifle.

Zonie is spot on and at best all we can do is speculate. FYI "340" is pretty much meaningless for even a ballpark guess on it's vintage though in as much as Hawken serial numbers have been 4, 5 and 6 digits long from the early 70's to present (340X, 340XX, 340XXX).

douglas_d said:
Well it seems that the lock plate needs to be cut out for the snail part of the breeh. in order for this barrel to fit.

Don't cut the lock, use a file on the breech and wide'n the slot that fits over the lock. Many GM barrels need just a little tweeking to fit an individual gun.

You may need to do some tweaking to get the GM to fit.
I, bought my oldest TC new, in the early ”˜70’s and its serial number is 72966.
If that means anything.

thanks for the tip with the file. right now I'm in the process of refinishing the stock, should be able to put back together tomorrow.

Back