• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Browning a Kibler SMR Lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built a 36 Kibler SMR a couple years ago and browned all of the iron parts. The barrel came out a little splotchy and I've been thinking about finally getting around to fixing it soon. Anyways, when I built it I left the lock plain and decided to let it build a natural patina over time. Now I'm toying with the idea of browning the lock to have it match the rest of the hardware.

Does anyone have pictures of their SMR's with browned locks? Also does anyone have tips for browning a lock if I decide I want to do it? I used Track's cold brown solution for another build recently and it turned out fantastic so I'll probably use that for the Kibler now.

One I just finished
134333B2-7E50-4E6D-877A-7618BD1D78C3.jpeg
5538ADCB-A704-44E9-8DA0-AEBC0BA789CB.jpeg

That is one heck of a finish! I’ve got to look into that brand.

No, I wouldn’t advise it. If you like it fine, it’s your gun.

Personally, find browning the locks on these rifles akin to the DuroCoat or Cerakote finish used by Pedersoli and other manufacturers to mimic a traditional rust brown. It just seems out of place. But if you like that modern look, go for it. Maybe look at some of the spray on epoxy finishes.

I’ve used Kibler locks three times,
First one I just used LMF browning as directed,
Second one I used LMF again, a few coats allowed to rust, boiled, then scrubbed back with scotchbrite,
Third one I just polished,,
IMG_1339.jpeg
IMG_2141.jpeg
IMG_0062.jpeg

This is neither a Kibler rifle or lock but I used Track of the Wolf Browning solution and just lightly browned everything, lock buttplate, barrel. It has a worn look.
20230608_131030.jpg

Here's an lock from a rifle my Dad built and I finished. This one I browned to death.
20200623_140924.jpg

Back