• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Flintlocks for Cape buffalo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call me nuts, but I've been scheming on a cape buffalo hunt with s flintlock.

What if you have a misfire? :eek: :eek: :eek:

2 1/2 tons of ticked off meat is stampeding your way and you have a misfire, looks like your gun picked a bad time to quit smoking...

That scenario would put me somewhere between hysterical and bed wetting...

make sure to take a buddy along.....one that runs a little slower than you.

You'll need a bigger gun and a GOOD pair of running shoes. I live in Kentucky and know that! :crackup:

OK....You're nuts...now what do you want me to call you?

I think the best kind of muzzle-loader would beone those barreled big bores the English used, as mentioned before in this thread.

However, I'd also advise that any gun used have a large patchbox. The large patchbox should contain:

a) your last will and testament, and

b) some personal identification. I don't think even dental records will help if you just wound the critter.

Cap'n ted
I was at the outdoor show in Harrisburg Pa. this past Feb. I was walking around with my flintlock 4-bore rifle to show it to a couple people i knew there . I walked up to an African outfitter who had a large picture of a cape buffalo hanging in his booth an asked him (jokingly) if he thought it was enough gun for Buffalo.
Interestingly enough, he was very curious about my gun because just last year he had guided a fellow from Ohio that used a flintlock 4-bore to take his Buffalo.
This guy used about the same load as i was using 300 gr 2f and a round ball (1700 gr) I think he said he was using a hardened round ball,
When i asked how it performed on the Buff, he said he had shot it behind the shoulder,in the lungs, and it ran about 200-300 yards and fell dead.
The guide also said that was about normal for a lung shot Buff.
Joe
PS. I have the guides name somewhere if you are interested

I read a quote from an old African hunter one time, something to the effect that "when a hunter meets a Cape buffalo, the outcome is certain. One of you will die."

I'd want PLENTY of backup!

2 1/2 tons of ticked off meat is stampeding your way and you have a misfire, looks like your gun picked a bad time to quit smoking...

Such a "scenario" would probly make one's hand shake, while attach'n one's bayonet, to the muzzle of one's rifle!! :: :shocking: :eek:

YMHS
rollingb

Such a "scenario" would probly make one's hand shake, while attach'n one's bayonet, to the muzzle of one's rifle!! :: :shocking: :eek:

YMHS
rollingb

or can do what crocidile dundee does :hmm: :shocking: :crackup: ............bob

YMHS
rollingb

or can do what crocidile dundee does :hmm: :shocking: :crackup: ............bob

:applause: :applause: :: :crackup: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

It can be done:

The right way =

http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/static/index.cfm?contentID=491

The wrong way =

http://www.africanhuntersguild.com/NonMembers.aspx?Control={D2238E39-74B1-46b3-95DB-BDFAD2C09C91}

The INCREDIBLY WRONG WAY !!!!!!!!!!!! =

http://clashradio.com/DVD/sullivan-video/

This last one might take a while to down load, BUT,
if you have never seen this fools video's, you are in for
a different view of African hunting.

He obviously sets these situations up VERY carefully ,BUT,
if you want excitement he is the man :youcrazy:

Makes me really appreciate Ohio whitetail hunting !

The INCREDIBLY WRONG WAY !!!!!!!!!!!! =

http://clashradio.com/DVD/sullivan-video/

This last one might take a while to down load, BUT,
if you have never seen this fools video's, you are in for
a different view of African hunting.

He obviously sets these situations up VERY carefully ,BUT,
if you want excitement he is the man :youcrazy:

That dude is freaking insane! One of these days, one little slip, one little mistake, and he's gonna be plucking a harp. What an idiot! :shake:

What if you have a misfire?

Well Musketman you need to take your bayonet along,and a Hunting sword ,Tomahawk , bowie knife and tip your guide well before you go out so he can shoot straight ::

Well, this has been a good post for this new forum member.

Seems like some folks would like to see me fitted out with an English military musket complete with bayonet, sword and tomahawk! It would clearly be of larger caliber and the other gear useful in the event of a misfire/good hit.

While living in Alaska and hunting on the ABC islands, my wife had a percussion rifle built for me (.45 caliber conical rifle that's designed to use 550 gr. conical bullets with a healthy chage). She felt it cheap insurance for the unlikely encounter with Ephriam during a typical hunting day in the rain forest. The short shoulder cannon worked great, and never let me down, and fortunately, I didn't need to test the hypothesis that it would work on the unruly Ephriam.

But, since Murphy, as in Murphy's rule, is my constant companion, I'll have some time for soul searching as I build and test the .58 conical rifle. It, of course, will be a flintlock.

And for those who rightfully reminded me that this is a dangerous game, the will, insurance, and instructions will be with my faithful and loving hunting partner. She will also have the spare shorts and will never reveal her observations in the laundry room!

She has also considered the advice regarding tipping the PH and is wondering if she should have him do a shooting demonstration so she knows if she can trust him or she should take the gun and dispatch the buffalo.

As I saw recently, life is to be lived vigorously, skidding sideways at the grave, good single malt in hand, saying " Wow, what a ride!" before tumbling in.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Cap'n Ted,

In 58cal, A PRB with great shot placement should do the job.

I'd use an over the powder wad and the heaviest charge while still holding accuracy and within the loading data limits of the rifle.

Alothough, I'd likely opt for a hefty conical over the PRB on buffalo.

The reality is that if any bullet of proper diameter and construction makes it into the vitals of a big bovid, whether pushed by smokeless or black powder, the animal will most likely die. I say "most likely" because I have heard stories of Cape Buffalo being taken and, upon field dressing, an old .375 or .458 bullet being discovered in one lung. This may be African lore but even if it is not, it speaks to the need for a proper first shot from ANY weapon, NOT just a muzzleloader. Angle the shot behind the shoulder and into the heart/lungs and you will be fine. You may have to tolerate a PH backing you up immediately if he thinks the shot was bad but that goes with the territory. As for regulations, Bows and handguns are legal for Buffalo and Elephant (respectively) in come countries and there are Professional Hunters who will obviously take guys with front stuffers out for buffalo.

You might check out the articles in the fall 1997 and spring 1993 issues of Blackpowder Hunting about using a .58 and .54 (again, respectively) on cape buffalo. If you do some more digging you will find that people take Buff with muzzleloaders quite regularly. Don't buy wholeheartedly into the mystique...the animals aren't bullet-proof for Christ's sake!

Best,

JohnTheGreek
Sorrey to respond to such an old post but this one is cool and I wish I had been here when it started.I got snagged when I read "Buffalo and Elephant with bows". I am hooked and I want to consider it! Can you recomend me to where I may order a back issue of this Magazine so I can and look into this?

Back