• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Traditions Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy gaboric

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum and am real excited about it, I really have got a strong intertest in muzzle loading and namely I would like to build some rifles to see if I would like to do it. I have a friend who's father builds them and they just blow me away and I really want to try my hand at it really baddly. So here is my question I would like to start off with a kit rifle because as of right now the only muzzle loader I have is my CVA Kodiak an in line (GASP) but I admit I love shooting it too but I want a more traditional rifle. So I saw the traditions kits online and I read an online article about them saying that they were good and worth getting. So I open up to you guys who know what is what. The other reason that I am leaning toward it is the price too I do not have a lot of money to spend and also I am a beginner in the realm of muzzle loading, so I would not want to turn an expensive stock blank into expensive fire wood. So any of your thoughts I welcome.
Thanks,
Andy

A lot of people get into muzzleloading with Traditions guns, either in kit or assembled form. They make decent shooters, and the kits are a good way to get into the hobby of building, as they come with a lot of the work already done.

The most common Traditions rifle kit is their Kentucky, and I personally don't care for the split stock design, but I've handled a few, and they seem like decent guns. My preference would be for one of the hawken kits by Lyman (available around $350 from midsouth), though Traditions also has one (~$305 from Dixie Gun Works). Of course, if you don't like the Hawken style, there's also Pedersoli and other kits available. You can find many at Dixie.

Thanks for the advice, I would be leaning more toward the hawken style gun anyway, and like you guys I do not care for the split stock on the penn. rifle. Again since I am a newbie at gun building I would prefer something a more friendly than making a gun from scratch although down the road that would be my intenison but not right now. Thanks for your input.

Its hard to beat a Lyman Great Plains Rifle (GPR) for a fairly easy Hawken style rifle kit. Do a search, there are a ton of posts and photos of them, including the one I built a few years ago:

My GPR

The GPR kits are a few more dollars than the Traditions kits, but GPRs are excellent rifles. I love my .50, and it... well, just looks better than the Traditions hawken rifles, IMHO. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong on either as a entry level rifle. If you aren't too impatient, you could look around on a bit on some of the classifieds for a decent price.

Since, you have a friend whose father builds, I would have a talk with him about your first build. I'd bet he might just take you under wing, and help, or at the very least give some guidance. I wouldn't waste my time, with one of the Traditions, or even a Lyman as what little instructions are there, give little or no help into how they can be built, and most don't remove enough wood on the first build, and they're very barrel heavy. You should first start with some books on both building, and on styles/ schools. This friends dad may be able to help there, ie borrow and read. Then I would plan a trip to Lodi, Ohio, and visit a real M/L store (closest to you) You can get most of what you would need for a first build of a rifle for only a little more than a Lyman kit, if you get a straight barrel, and plain maple stock. Just my two centavos, but I waould talk to you friends Dad first. Do some more research, and you can save some more bucks for what you really want, and if once you get started it's hard to quit.

Bill

I would say yes go with the Traditions for a good start. take your time and maybe do some slight modifications to test your skills. Most Traditions shooters on here are very satisfied with their product.

Latest posts

Back