• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thunder'd down in the Swamp tonight!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I loaded up my "Thunder'er" friday night for our shotgun season that opened yesterday. My .12ga smoothbore Roy built me that I can basically shoot like a rifle at 50 yards and makes a handy short range deer buster for me. Saw nothing at all yeasterday and sat in another unseasonal warm day today Dec 5..I almost fell asleep on stand it was so warm. :youcrazy:

I perked up and was finally able to hold heavy eye lids open when I caught a glimpse of white flickering through the brush about 3:45. It wasn't until just after 4:00 before I finally saw a deer. Problem was, at that point he was going away from me when I did finally see it was a buck and he was roughly 70ish yards out...he disappeared and I said manure! Then I said wait a minute...and I just blatted best I could 3 times...a Swampy blat. :haha: :thumbsup: Can't say I was surprised to see this turned him and peeked his curiosity because that little trick has worked quite well for me many times before...only thing is, hes aware of something in front of him now, something that sounds like a deer...and just where is it...he got to a point where I knew he was 60 yards out and he locked up on me looking straight on to me. I had no idea if he scented something, wasn't much of a wind that I noticed. I was already in firing position with the gun cocked and looking down the sights when he decided this wasn't exactly the right place to be at that very moment. My heart started to sink because I thought for sure he'd bust out to the next county any second...thats when he turned his head to the left and I knew he was mine then. I don't like straight on shots because I believe they see the flash and can react, had one do it but with him looking off to his left, nows my chance. A little light pressure on the trigger and BOOM! When the smoke cleared, I saw him laying there where he stood, never twitched, nothing. It was totally lights out for him. Sat there watching him for 5 minutes or so, believing it was the 6 point I had been after..I never did drive over to him, just finally drove home to collect help and grab the camera. It wasn't until We drove up to it I realized it wasn't the 6 point but a forkhorn I had seen once last month...

Not bad, he only hog dressed at 110 lbs but its meat and another smoothbore deer in the book. :thumbsup: Yeah I'm very happy atm.

100_4055.JPG

100_4060.JPG

DSCF3993.JPG

DSCF3995.JPG

You're gettin' it done Swamp-man!
Good looking smoothbore, good buck, good photos...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

And at the rate you're going you might want to mount a winch on that ATV !
:grin:

Congrats! good story nice shot an patience! good job!
:hmm: you've now got twice as many as I've seen :shocked2: ! somethin gotta change here..weather maybe? 60 degrees lil warmer than usual huntin season! :shake:

You know I earned this buck RC. :haha: Been going steady since the begining of November passing up a few to get to this point. I feel good though after all I been through the last two years it sure was a very rewarding season for me and tell ya the truth, it still would have been even if I didn't tag a buck this year. :thumbsup:

That gun isn't exactly new BB and has spilled a bit of blood before this. :thumbsup:

You noticed my footware? :haha: I'm unable to wear boots anymore and hunt in L L Bean slippers yes. :youcrazy: :haha: :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
hunt in L L Bean slippers yes. :thumbsup:

Use what works! I really liked mine I bought 10 years ago, a little over a week ago I was in LL Bean up in W Leb, NH and bought both myself and my wife a pair! WARM & COZY!

Atta boy Swamp' !!!! That'll put a grin on your mug for sure! :thumbsup:

Never considered a buck reacting to the flash from a pan. :hmm: That'll give me something to chew on.....thanks "Professor". :wink: :haha:

Happy for ya, Skychief.

BTW, does Lady get to see your deer? If so, what does she think of them?

My little Jack Russell is sure she's killed them herself, but, forgot how in all the excitement. :rotf:

Swampy said:
You know I earned this buck RC. :haha: Been going steady since the begining of November passing up a few to get to this point. I feel good though after all I been through the last two years it sure was a very rewarding season for me and tell ya the truth, it still would have been even if I didn't tag a buck this year. :thumbsup:

I know you did! :applause: so happy ya got out,,the bucks is a bonus! Really Happy fer ya! keep at it! an I will too! :wink:

:thumbsup: Well done! Where did you hit? I didn't see a wound.

This guy here a few years ago, using the exact same gun. He was looking straight at me, slight quartering to me at 35 yards. I aimed low figuring on the heart or if I did shoot high, it would catch at least one lung. At the shot he flipped over so I ended up looking at his tail where a moment ago his other end was there. Turned out I hit him high through the neck, into the spine. :shocked2: No way I should have hit him so high unless he reacted to the flash...

2007buckj.jpg

Very nice, now i see why you ended the other thread. Congratulations!

steve

Back