• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tick treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I was bit my Doctor refused to prescribe antibiotics. Said the tick has to be engorged and getting ready to drop off before it can transfer the disease. I've had two friends come down with Lyme disease from tick bites they received in Oregon, so I know it's around here.
That is good to know. The fact that it came off so easy is what had me worried. But it did not have the appearance of an engorged tick. Though there was alot of blood

That is good to know. The fact that it came off so easy is what had me worried. But it did not have the appearance of an engorged tick. Though there was alot of blood
I had been hiking with my daughter and we got into a bunch of elk(I'm blaming them). Later that night I was sitting on the couch watching TV when I felt a sharp pain on my calf. I came flying off the couch and I guess I said " Something bit me!".
Kid was laughing her butt off, said I sounded like Forest Gump. Tick was removed with no real bleeding as he had just got started.

Last time I was bit my Doctor refused to prescribe antibiotics. Said the tick has to be engorged and getting ready to drop off before it can transfer the disease. I've had two friends come down with Lyme disease from tick bites they received in Oregon, so I know it's around here.
I'm not too sure about that length of time, seems quite long, but I do know the transfer of Lyme disease is not instant. The tick does need to be in the skin and it does take some time. One can accidentally speed up the process by squeezing the tick with improper removal methods.
That's for Lyme, I'm not sure how long it takes to transmit what causes Alpha Gal

It's also interesting that no antibiotics were prescribed. Around here they often prescribed them for any deer tick bite without even testing for Lyme because Lyme is so common and the testing for it isn't really all that accurate.

Glad to see that doctor being reluctant to use antibiotics. Alot of doctors are too eager to use them. They seem to be way over prescribed.
While I would generally agree with this, I feel the Lyme situation is different. In these cases it is such a mild short course, the testing is not super accurate, and the effects of long term Lyme disease are so bad, I don't think a prophylactic short course of them is out of line. Lyme isn't like other illnesses that can "run it's course" or we can build resistance to. Once the bacteria, the disease is in us, it is there causing problems until it is killed. The longer it is in us, the more permanent some of those problems may be, worse, often the initial sick feelings go away and and the long term effects take time (sometimes years) to become noticeable, and then it is too late.

Remember also, some people never get the "bullseye" and some people never get any kind of initial illness, but start having problems with joints, pain issues, and other Lyme related health issues, that's when Lyme gets found in places like spinal fluid or the blood tests show present but "low" numbers.

Last edited:
I have been in pest control for a number of years and ticks are no stranger.. Here in Minnesota we are blessed with a large number of deer ticks (Black Legged ticks) and I often do tick surveys for area treatments. The ticks pick up the bacterium from White Footed Mice and possibly Deer Mice. Mice control around your home or cabin is a good idea as well just for that reason.
A strategy worth doing is to wear white or very light colored calf high socks and pull them over your trousers. This is helpful as you can glance at your calf and see if you are picking up any ticks while moving.. Also prevents them from getting to your leg.. I always use some permethrin on me from the shoes to waist.. It works!! Not on skin but on fabric. Another tactic is to carry a small quart sized misting bottle with permethrin in it to lightly treat an area if you are going to be stationary for a bit.. .. Avoid high grass if you can and always check yourself at night. Shower and scrub well if you are finding any.. The Deer tick nymphs are the size of a poppy seed !!!
I have never contracted Lyme and don't intend to.

I was referring to antibiotics in general. Some doctors give the appearance of being "pill pushers". By all means treat the disease but antibiotics should not be automatically the first response to everything. Overused but sometimes necessary.

Back