• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tick treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long before any disease like lyme sets in? I found a tick on my leg this morning. I got the culprit in a bottle just in case I come down with something. That way I could show the tick to the doctor. But it's been over10 hrs already since I found that annoying creature.
3 to 4 days, look for a red bullseye pattern to develop, it does in most case - not always, so tell your Dr. about it. Was the tick dug in? ? If so, did you get his head when you pulled him off? If he wasn’t stuck, don’t worry.

Billy......I'm the husband Dr. in my family. They call me Dr. Quack. I have a friend , appeared healthy , but had a couple weeks of mild gut pain distress. He is a healthy strong x-farm boy type that has never been sick. My retired RN Wife , (nurse ratchet) , advised him to get a blood test for Lyme disease , and it was positive. Antibiotics cleared the bacteria from him. He recovered well and is back to normal. I've lost several friends to Lymes , and don't want to loose any more. Be watchful!

Billy......I'm the husband Dr. in my family. They call me Dr. Quack. I have a friend , appeared healthy , but had a couple weeks of mild gut pain distress. He is a healthy strong x-farm boy type that has never been sick. My retired RN Wife , (nurse ratchet) , advised him to get a blood test for Lyme disease , and it was positive. Antibiotics cleared the bacteria from him. He recovered well and is back to normal. I've lost several friends to Lymes , and don't want to loose any more. Be watchful!
My cousin was destroyed by the disease
my cousin was destroyed by the disease, before they knew what it was/what to do. There are so many varieties of it , diagnosis is very difficult sometimes, always have it checked if ANY doubt

I get them on me a lot, I generally find them crawling and get them off before they dig in.

A couple of years ago I got a tick on me right at the hem of my cargo shorts on the left side of my left thigh. It was stuck tight, and I got it off me and it developed the bullseye about 2" in diameter. I went to my GP and he looked at it, dismissed it entirely off-hand, and said don't worry about it we don't have Lyme in Alabama. After I left I was like well he!!, i'm not risking it, and I took an un-used prescription of Amoxicillin my wife was saving, on my on, without telling him, just in case. I have not had any effects that I know of from the whole episode.

I'm more afraid of RMSF than Lyme around here in AL. I had a friend die of it in High School years ago. His little brother later got it and survived, probably because they recognized it in time. Pretty sure they just didn't know what was going on in the earlier case, the poor kid. In those days people just didn't go to the doctor a lot.

3 to 4 days, look for a red bullseye pattern to develop, it does in most case - not always, so tell your Dr. about it. Was the tick dug in? ? If so, did you get his head when you pulled him off? If he wasn’t stuck, don’t worry.
I'm not out of the woods yet but it appears that I dodged a bullet.Its been several days and so far there is no redness or irritation on the bite spot. It came off easily as if it just "let go" or something. What alarmed me was the amount of blood from that bite on the calf. That may have been a good thing.Maybe the pathogens or whatever means are used to transmit diseases were bled out instead of in? Who knows? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Just wondering if somebody can explain why it's better to use a crowbar to pull a tick off when it might leave part of its stinger stuck inside of you ?
when I've pointed out that if you dab a bit of petroleum oil on it it will let go without the risk of getting part of its head stuck inside of you that can cause an infection ?

I get them on me a lot, I generally find them crawling and get them off before they dig in.

A couple of years ago I got a tick on me right at the hem of my cargo shorts on the left side of my left thigh. It was stuck tight, and I got it off me and it developed the bullseye about 2" in diameter. I went to my GP and he looked at it, dismissed it entirely off-hand, and said don't worry about it we don't have Lyme in Alabama. After I left I was like well he!!, i'm not risking it, and I took an un-used prescription of Amoxicillin my wife was saving, on my on, without telling him, just in case. I have not had any effects that I know of from the whole episode.
I've never gotten to visit the South, but thats sure a strange thing of him to say 'we don't have Lyme disease here in the south'

That's one of the reasons I started this thread was to help people watch out for these, no reason to get sick and die when you can prevent it.

Just wondering how you got it off? Did you try to forcefully pull it off? Or did you dab something on it that caused it to let go?

.... thats sure a strange thing of him to say 'we don't have Lyme disease here in the south'

I know, I agree, he's an odd bird... I took my wife's antibiotic in spite of him...

Just wondering how you got it off? Did you try to forcefully pull it off? ....

All my life down here we've just pulled them off, yes. Then itch, scratch, itch, bleed, infect, yank scabs, repeat, and do all the wrong stuff like the ignert dweezils we are LOL.

Don't forget , you can go to any of the Physician Assistant , PA clinics , and request a Lyme disease blood test. Regular Dr. not needed. Get a blood test , save yourself from catastrophe. Ticks embedded for a couple days , might require a month of daily antibiotics to wipe the disease from your blood stream.

Last edited:
I'm not out of the woods yet but it appears that I dodged a bullet.Its been several days and so far there is no redness or irritation on the bite spot. It came off easily as if it just "let go" or something. What alarmed me was the amount of blood from that bite on the calf. That may have been a good thing.Maybe the pathogens or whatever means are used to transmit diseases were bled out instead of in? Who knows? I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Their enzymes , like ex wives, are designed to promote blood flow and dissolve tissue, good thing you got him off when you did..

A month or so ago a 19 year old that I know who is the epitome of health and fitness was hospitalized with a severe illness/sepsis. They ran every test imaginable and finally found lyme antibodies in his spinal fluid. He has recovered. Never knew he had it.

A month or so ago a 19 year old that I know who is the epitome of health and fitness was hospitalized with a severe illness/sepsis. They ran every test imaginable and finally found lyme antibodies in his spinal fluid. He has recovered. Never knew he had it.
Yeah, but I'm almost 74 and not the epitome of health.

Last time I was bit my Doctor refused to prescribe antibiotics. Said the tick has to be engorged and getting ready to drop off before it can transfer the disease. I've had two friends come down with Lyme disease from tick bites they received in Oregon, so I know it's around here.

Latest posts

Back