• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Time to bust out the bigger gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday I shot the last match for the year in which I'll be shooting the. 45. Just as an aside, I shot my worst score ever :redface: :redface:

Time to start warming up the .54 for hunting. Anybody else switch out for the season?

This year is deer only and I'd use the .45 but it's not legal for deer with a round ball. Antelope later, but not legal for that either.

I had company all week (My sister who lives in Italy) But she left today and I sure got the itch to burn some powder, if I don't get out during the week I'm thinking I'm gona camp on the weekend and bring the 54 to stump shoot. Archery starts the weekend after and I want to give way to those fellas so this coming would be the last weekend to make noise :)

That's real thoughtful of you, Sean. Hope you are able to get the camping trip in.

I'm hunting elk with bow this year. First big game bow hunting since 2011 due to a shoulder problem Followed by a serious snowmobile accident. Really looking forward to it. Nice thing is I can practice in the back yard :wink:

Ml deer with a grandson who is this year old enough to hold a big game license. Then ML antelope towards the end of September. Gonna be a busy month.

Nice you had a chance to visit with your sister. I'm lucky that most of my family is nearby.

Nope. Target is just practice for hunting so I shoot only one rifle for everything.

Just like my archery - I shoot stumps and targets with the same arrows I hunt with, so I don't have to "retune" my brain to variations. I shoot sightless so it has to be burned into my brain and muscles.

I have a .50 for deer and a .40 for squirrels. Its just been too blankety hot to go shooting this summer. But my season for squirrel doesn't open till Oct.1st. and deer opens on Nov. 18th. so I should have plenty of cooler weather to get them dialed in.

The heat and humidity down there must be killer!

When I shot Sat it to about 99 but as they like to say about Hades, "it's a dry heat".

When it's hot in the hills during the season it can present problems with keeping meat cool and getting it out in proper condition.

We've been having 105 to 110 heat indexes lately :shocked2: . Today was cool but then it has rained off and on all day.

Back