• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tingle .40 Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just won this .40 Tingle pistol at an auction. It peaked my interest because it was made in Shelbyville, IN, which is near my hometown. With a serial number of 33, it appears to be an early offering.

As the astute observer will see, it’s missing the grips so I’ll need to make a set of those. If anyone has one and could provide a photo of them off the pistol, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I’ll wing it and base them on other bp pistol grips. I’d also be interested to know if anyone has recommendations for a powder charge and/or ball/patch combo. Thanks!
C1EC6F7E-DC84-45E4-B083-3FBF8C5F3D99.jpeg
9EB5010B-6E42-41C2-BD8B-BB846835164F.jpeg
76EEA45D-6024-4B38-91F3-BFA829DD4C1C.jpeg
64864749-8FB8-4D7E-A77F-B04E533B45CA.jpeg

You might try Remington grips. For all practical purposes the Tingle was patterned after the Remington revolvers.

Thanks Grenadier. I haven’t recieved it yet to compare, but I had been wondering it a set of replacement grips for one of the more common bp revolvers would work.

I just won this .40 Tingle pistol at an auction. It peaked my interest because it was made in Shelbyville, IN, which is near my hometown. With a serial number of 33, it appears to be an early offering.

As the astute observer will see, it’s missing the grips so I’ll need to make a set of those. If anyone has one and could provide a photo of them off the pistol, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I’ll wing it and base them on other bp pistol grips. I’d also be interested to know if anyone has recommendations for a powder charge and/or ball/patch combo. Thanks!
View attachment 82715View attachment 82716View attachment 82717View attachment 82718
Actually I think the Tingle grips are closer to a Colt in design. If you look at how the frame to grip junction is shaped it is flat like a Colt. I have handled a couple Tingle pistols a few years ago and IIRC the length of the grip is very close to that of an 1860 Colt Army. I later owned one of the CVA look alike copies of a Tingle (The Prospector I think it was called) which was very similar in design and handling to those Tingles. The grips on it were identical to a Colt 1860.

Actually I think the Tingle grips are closer to a Colt in design.

Desi23, I think you’re right. I did a little more digging after Grenadier’s suggestion and saw an old comment on another forum where someone who seemed to have some knowledge of the history behind the construction of these said the same. Fortunately I have grips for an 1860, so it won’t cost me anything to find out once the Tingle arrives.

I don’t think posting links to other forums is agreeable to the rules so I won’t share that source of info here, but I did also find this article discussing the history behind the Tingle muzzleloaders that others may find of interest:Tingle's Creation Still Amazes | Gun Digest

Tingle pistols were available from the now defunct ASM company, too.
Caliber was .44.
Their grips were close if not identical to that company's range of Colt 1848 Dragoon revolvers.
The ASM mainspring was of the leaf type, however.
Long Johns Wolf

Back