• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TN flintlock 6 pt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I went ahead and tagged my 3rd buck this week to end my antlered deer hunting. Got a 7pt and two 6 pts with my flintlock, plus a button buck. Still can shoot 3 doe per day til January. I havent had much luck the last couple of years, so I didnt pass up anything. I didnt see but two does while on the stand. I got this 6pt with a heart shot at 40 yds. A .562 ball cast in my Tanner mould with 90g FFF busted his heart and both front legs and kept going. He still managed to run off about 50 yards. For the life of me I dont know how I read about all these patched round ball deer being dropped in their tracks. I know thats possible if you hit the spine. I just havent seen the 58 round ball as being over kill.

Speaking of antler hunting, I saw a real nice sight yesterday. It was a beautiful 3-4 year old buck that had just been dumped on the side of the road. He was complete except for his rack that had been sawed off.

Congratulations on yet another FL buck! :hatsoff:

Are those (3) ticks? :barf:

As for the hornless deer at the side of the road, I've seen similar but suspect that they were road killed. It wouldn't have been legal to cut the antlers off, but you can bet it happens. :nono:

Congratulations! :hatsoff: As for dropping them in their tracks, the ones that I dropped, besides the spine hits, were shot in both lungs. I suppose it is difficult to run without some air. I've saw deer run with heart shots before dropping, but I have not shot many through the heart.

Congrats on a good season :grin: now send some across the State line to me :cursing:

The spots you see in the pic on the white hair must have been blood. I turned the deer over for the pic and their was blood spilling every where out of the entry and exit holes.
The deer I saw dumped had been shot simply for his rack "trophy hunter" and was most likely spotlighted.

Congrats on another fine kill! Great season you're having. :hatsoff:

When someone shoots a deer and dumps it, the word "hunter" should not even be used. :shake: Poacher, slob, and worse, comes to my mind. A true hunter, trophy or otherwise, ensures the animal is utilized.

Spikebuck said:
When someone shoots a deer and dumps it, the word "hunter" should not even be used. :shake: Poacher, slob, and worse, comes to my mind. A true hunter, trophy or otherwise, ensures the animal is utilized.
You are right, I really hate seeing a deer go to waste. The guilty party was most likely unable to gut and cut up the deer anyway. Something they dont teach on the "Big Antlers TV channel".

I understand the idea of not letting anything walk this year. I never had a problem letting them walk until recently. My luck has soured with only one deer the past four years. This season's not starting off any better so all I need is a decent shot to present itself. Congratulations on another nice buck; that's a beautiful rifle, by the way.

The 58 is my new friend, it will spilt hairs at close range. I really enjoyed a good novelty shoot at our clubs fall rendezvous with it. I am settling on getting a 58 smooth bore made. I might be done with the smallbores. I did tenderize a lot of shoulder meat this past week. Mine and the deer's.

I guess it was the soybean farmers,car insurance, and quality deer management folks that got us our stupid antler less deer limit. I don't have access to a place that has to many does believe me. I only saw a handful of deer last season. I am hunting a new spot this year. A friend of mine quit deer hunting on his farm and he invited me to hunt. He thinks its great that I use a flintlock only for everything.

Grats again. :hatsoff:

But... you KNOW now that you're done with bucks... you'll see the biggest buck ever in your life for sure now. :haha:

IMG_1813_zps017dec96.jpg

Good shooting T.O.!
I second the dittos on flintlock only..Atta-boy!
Time to chase squirrels.

you think 3 per day is good, here in SC our season on private land starts aug.15-jan.1 our limit on bucks is 5 per day no limit for the year. no game check stations, we have a lot of doe days, i don't know what the limit on does are per day if any, we do not have to put tags on any deer unless you buy 4 doe tags extra so you can kill them on any day. we can also bait with corn, licks ect ect. we also do not have split season for muzzloader, bows rifle or whatever you hunt with. anything goes on private land. and as far as being illegal to cut horns off a deer ran over side the road? please man aren't there any freedoms left in america? we have no laws like that here that i am aware of. if a game warded saw you doing that side the road on road kill he most likley would stop and help. nice buck you have there.

Jethro224 said:
Grats again. :hatsoff:

But... you KNOW now that you're done with bucks... you'll see the biggest buck ever in your life for sure now. :haha:

Yeah Jethro I will bring a camera with me just in case. I will bring a picture of it to the frolic next spring to let you see how that turns out. I am satisfied just shooting does, I didnt mean to tag out so soon, thats just all I saw. I hope to see some does this weekend as the states rifle season opens. The repeaters out to get them moving. I will be hunting with the 58.

Latest posts

Back