• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Cone Or Not to Cone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That is the question. I've heard of a coning tool that isn't too expensive but tell me this........of those of you who have ACTUALLY DONE THIS YOURSELF, is it worth the trouble and does it seem to be as accurate or more accurate than before. I like to shove a big .610 ball down my .62's throat so you see the reason for my question. I've spent a lot of cash and time on this rifle and I don't want to screw up my Colerain!

I've coned 2 with the $37.00 tool (at least that's what it used to be). The first was a .36 cal; it works great, I can start the ball and patch with my finger, cut the patch off, ramrod them onto the powder. I didn't have to sight in again, no change in point of impact nor in accuracy as far as I can tell. The second was a .62 cal (smoothbore); it is easy loading a tight fitting patch and ball, and I get good shot patterns out of it also. In fact, I coned it as I built it so I never fired it "unconed." I'm sold.
Beowulf

Thank you Beowolf. So far there's a 100% positive response. Do you know where to get these tools? I think each one is calibre specicfic is it not?

I have a Joe Wood .54 cal Cone tool. Planed on doing my .54 but to my surprise the barrel had already been coned. I think its great, makes loading alot easier and theres nothing wrong with the way mine shoots. I plan on getting a .58 cal tool for my next project.

Joe Lane Wood
The Firelock Shop
5311 Briar St.
Amarillo, Texas 79109

email: [email protected]

Phone 806 352-3032

Thank you Swamp Rat, I just sent an e-mail to them. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

J.James,
I've coned a couple and have been very happy with the results. I think you should not expect any change in accuarcy, just a much easier loading gun. As mentioned above I used Joe Wood's coning tool and coned my second barrel before ever firing a shot. I've heard a lot of negative about coning barrels but haven't actually heard anyone say they coned their barrel and it shot worse or they did not like it. Good Luck.
Packdog

Tell me something,Packdog. How far downbore is actually involved in the cone and can you thumbpress an otherwise tight combo down into the barrel a little ways or just enough to allow cutting at the muzzle. Another question is, do you skip the short starter and go straight to the ramrod after seating the ball?

What we should do is set up a coning tool loaner/swap/rental resource of some sort. Most of us will do one or two and then have a useless tool cluttering up the bench. I have rifles in .36, (3).40, (7).50s, .54 and .62. That would be a lot of tools at $40 a piece.

Any ideas or suggestions?

YMHS,
CrackStock

A buddy of mine coned his muzzle with a cone shaped grinding stone like you would use in an electric drill. He says it hasn't hurt accuracy. This may have a steeper angle than the cutters you are talking about.

J.James,
The coning tool itself is about 4 inches long and has a slight taper along a 3" section. The last inch looks like your cleaning jag and keeps it centered in the bore. Sorry I don't have a picture to post. How far down in the bore is up to you. The more you use the cone tool with the 220 grit paper the deeper in the bore it will go. You can keep going or stop when you want.
I coned mine where my previous patch ball combo, which I had to use a short starter to get started, could be thumb pressed in a little over half way. I can take my RR and press it the rest of the way from there without the use of a short starter.
Packdog

Thank you guys for the time and info. I'm still waiting for a return e-mail from Joe L. Wood and I'll order one, use it and post the results and some photos for those interested. I really wish there was someone who could post photos of the proceedure now.

J.James,
This is what one of Joe Woods Cone tools looks like.
conetool.jpg

Hmm bought mine a year ago, don't quote me but I want to say $28.00 for some reason. Really not sure now but I'll find out soon when I order a .58 cal tool.

I just coned a .54 cal Jaeger barrel with one of the tools pictered above. It took me about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish. I had a tendency to use too much pressure & thus tear the paper & tape, and I spent half of this time taking off paper & cleaning off the tape glue, resurfacing the tool with new paper, etc.... So I advise low pressure & let the grit of the paper do the work.

Also another note, I also tried two dif. types of thin carpet tape to hold the paper... (one plastic tape & one cloth tape) Don't... They will change angle of the cone you are cutting as they are different thicknesses. I went back to the original one I started with, used less pressure & it all worked out fine...

I don't remember what the tools cost when I bought the 3 I have, but it seems like they were $37. each plus postage. Between this & 2 other friends that have a couple of the tools each, we now have a full set & we can mail them back & forth to each other. This way we have access to all the calibers we need & it saves us a lil $ each. If one needs one, we just mail them the one they want & we have them all covered.

As far as accuracy goes, I cannot immagine the coned muzzle being quite as accurate as one with a proper crown, as if they were I feel the barrel manufactures would offer them coned or not coned.... However, I am not going to be shooting HP rifle match accuracy with one anyway & I am anxious to see if I personally can really tell a difference or not.

:results:

Back