• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today I made fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:v Very good summary and thanks for the detailed description. One question I would have,what woods are useable for the spindle and fireboard, remembering that we do not all live near supplies of Yucca wood. Thanks again for your sharing of much useful information. :hatsoff: "Doc"

That's Great ! Char Cloth really work's Great I got It down now that with one Spark of the Flint Striker on the Char Cloth and It Glow's Red "Char Cloth Is the Best,

The most ubiquitous wood in N. America would be Willow. That would be my prime choice. Poplar, also known as Cottonwood, and Aspen, would be the second choice for both the spindle and the fireboard. Yucca is wonderfully tough, and dry. But, It doesn't grow here in the midwest. I sent off to someone who advertised a Bow and drill "kit" for sale, and they sent a Yucca Fireboard.

So, I have used it, several times, to make fires to demonstrate the technique to others. I believe they included a 3/8" leather "strap" for their bowstring but I don't remember now. I have several old belts that can be cut lengthwise, carefully, and then softened with neatsfoot oil to make them into good bow"strings". If I had to make up a bow and drill in a true survival situation, I would look to the belt I am wearing for such a "strap."

I split my willow spindle out of a tree trunk cutting, using a sledge and wedge. The cut trunk was about 24 inches long, and probably 20 " in diameter. We got a lot of spindles and fire boards out of that one cutting.

Then I made an 1 inch square stave of the spindle, and used my knife to cut facets around the stave to make the " gear teeth". I could have used an axe, but someone else got to it first. You do want the wood to be dry, BTW. But, if you already have a fire going, the spindle can be dried over the heat from the fire rather quickly.

In response to: paulvallandigham

Paul that was a very well detailed reply, I think we all learned from that reply. I thank you,

Buck.

YOu are very welcome. It took me years to find answers to those questions, so I am happy to share the information.

BTW, the Best Book now in print on primitive skills, including Bow and drill fire making, is "Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills", by John & Geri McPherson. The pictures are excellent, and they cover a lot of skills with detailed information I just have not found anywhere else.

There are a lot of people interested in ... aboriginal technology ... where the bow drill and hand drill fire starting methods are practiced. One group is the Society of Primitive Technology. They now have two books out that are collections of articles from their quarterly newsletter. They both have lots of info (with pictures and drawings) about starting a fire with a bow drill or hand drill. And lots of trials of different woods. But they also explain exactly what you are trying to do in the whole process.

And then there is all the info on the other stuff. Great books.

Mikey

For the record I think the original poster is lying!

I would challenge him to a duel with pistols at 20 paces...but I cut all my damned fingers off with that stupid flint and steel kit that the turkeys at the TOTW sell.

As you can tell, the experience of trying to make a traditional campfire has left me bitter and twisted! :youcrazy:

Back