• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus

45 Cal.
Reaction score
There are many experienced gunbuilders here. My question is what would you consider as the bare neccesities when it comes to the tools if I am looking at trying to build my own first scratch build?

I have built a few kit guns before where the stock came pre inletted, but I want to go advanced now. I am not afraid of a lot of work and I am in no particular hurry to get it done. The only haste is in getting started as soon as possible, but while I am getting the funds together to get a lock and barrel imported from the US, I want to start purchasing some (or at least most of the tools required).

What would you consider as "must haves", and "nice to haves"?

For the basics I'd say that chisels and wood rasps are indispensible when using a stock blank. For inletting locks and other parts where rounded edges occur I also like gouges. All of these are basic hand tools. Brownells (Brownells.com) also sells octagon barrel bedding tools which are helpful in inletting barrel channels.
I teach gunsmithing at one of America's oldest gunsmithing schools and one thing that I instill in my students is the need of a good library. I can never have enough books and videos on gun building. One thing to remember, when building your rifle from a stock blank, you WILL make mistakes. Many are repairable and each teaches us something and makes us better. Don't let these bother you. In the end, you are the only one who can spot them. Everyone else will be admiring your work.
Good Luck and keep your powder dry.

CactusMocs, thanks. On the books, I absolutely agree. I bought Peter Alexander's Gunsmith of Grenville County 4 years ago and have been studying the book ever since but have never had the nerve to actually start. About 2 years ago I took up knife making and my creative skill really took off. It also had an incredible effect on my sense of craftsmanship and attention to detail. I am now glad I waited gefore taking on such a project, but the time is neigh. The urge to do this has only increased over the last 4 years.

A Jack Plane will help leveling your blank .A good combination square.A long drill bit for ramrod hole (ToW , MLBS) .4' straight edge (1/8"x1"x4')for checking barrel channel , R.R channel and laying out drop for buttstock.

Here are a few ............. :thumbsup:

A small angle grinder is useful for making lock parts, and a propane torch for hardening springs. A hacksaw and some files will do for most metal work.
You don't really need many special tools.
19633_1226404628327_1475388752_30646772_5646306_n.jpg

A good, accurate square is a wonderful thing to have, and I would consider essential. I have got along with those cheap little carving chisels that come in a 12-pack for $10, four-in-one rasps, a couple of Bucks brother gouges and Stanley chisels, hardware store drill bits and files, etc., and made them work, but there is no way to make an inaccurate square work. I paid $16 for a 6" machinist square guaranteed accurate to .001" and it has been worth its weight in gold.

Yes it is. I've almost completed the stock and will be starting on the mechanics soon.
201004022340284bb6644ce7993.jpg

.403 cal rifled 18" barrel.

I'll post a thread soon, don't want to highjack this one. It's all scratch built, even down to the screws.

Back