• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

track of the wolf kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike mckinney

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greeting all:
Has anybody here ever built a track of the wolf rifle kit? If so, how hard are they to build and what is required to build one? ANother question for you. why is it so hard to barrels with a fast rate of twist?

T.O.W. "kits" are a little more involved then most kits.
Really they are a collection of parts. Holes have to be drilled and tapped, lugs, sites soldered. Not difficult, but you should take your time with it. I just finished a trade gun from them. See my post with photos of it.

...why is it so hard to barrels with a fast rate of twist?

My guess would be that someone willing to go to the effort of building an authentic rifle would choose a twist to stabilize a round ball - the proper projectile for the vast majority of period rifles.

L.C. Rice used to form any twist you requested. Check with Barbie at Chambers, his new distributor.

As has been mentioned, a TOW "Kit" is just a collection of parts with a pre-shaped/pre-inlet stock. You still have a lot of work to do.

I have built two of their Tennessee "kits". Actually I As has been mentioned, a TOW "Kit" is just a collection of parts with a pre-shaped/pre-inlet stock. You still have a lot of work to do.

I have built two of thier Tennessee "kits". Actually I got all the parts seperately because I did not want a pre-inlet stock. I would rather do the inletting myself and not worry if some of the factory inletting is misaligned.

If you want to go the route of a pre-inletted stock it can save you a lot of time. I'm building a 58 fullstock Hawkin flinter right now that uses a pre-inlet stock. I got on the cheap as a second. The tang and the barrel channel were misaligned and took a lot of work. I knew there would be problems with a second so it was no suprise. Every thing else seems to be fine. The lock and triggers went in with a minimum amount of work as did the butt and toe plates. It was just a little more work than one of the old CVA kits.

The holes for the tang and lock bolts were well marked so drilling them went right along. once those holes were drilled, I could drill the tang, trigger plate and lock plate. Tapping the lock and trigger plates went fine.

I started the rifle around the first of the month and only have to do the ramrod thimbles, nose cap and trigger guard left to do. I am going to put escusion plates on the barrel wedges because I managed to bung the inletting on a couple of them. For me, this project is going very fast.

Your mileage may vary.

Which style are you wanting to build? Track gives a scale of difficulty on each gun kit.

As to the barrel, most people shoot round ball and the rifling is driven by that concept. So this is driven by the market. If you want something else, it can be ordered. However, if you want to sell at a later date, you will find few takers of a fast twist barrel.

CS

the the kit I was looking at was their english sporting rifle. I thought most of these weapons fired conical bullets as opposed to round balls. Any good info out there on the history of elglish sporting arms? I figured one of these would be a good start before I try to build something like one of the rifle shoppe's snaphaunce kits

Tuskin, barrels seems to be a problem. The fastest twist barrel they suggest for the "Rigby English sporting rifle

I just ordered a custom barrel for my underhammer (see Jimbo's Underhammer) from Ed Rayl. Prices start at about $125 for the in-the-white barrel which will then need finishing. He seems willing to build any style/twist that his customers want. He was very accomodating over the phone. Lead time is about 4 months.

Ed's contact information is:

W.E. Rayl, Box 91, Gassaway WV 26624 304-364-8269

Jimbo

Back