• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a kit from Track of the Wolf. What can you all tell me about them? Is the quality decent? What about the price in comparison to some others you may know of out there? They seem to be really reasonable from what I have found searching the web.

I have yet to see one their kits.
Actually just placed an order for some parts this morning. Ordered 9 item and the guy I talked to had all the parts numbers memorized. I was impressed and look forward to many more orders with them. I like to deal with people who know what their doing

I assembled a northwest trade gun, and am working on a southern mountain rifle. Both from t.o.w. They have been helpful and responsive, but backorders of certain parts can take a while. btw, their "kits" are a little more involved then what you might be thinking of. the inletting is about 95% done, but you have to finish shape the barrel end of the stock, fasteners have to be drilled and tapped, touch holes drilled, etc. Depending on which options you take, you may need to install underlugs either by solder or create dovetails. Overall I have been satisfied with the components and service.

I have done a couple , also heard other places offer the same for less, TOW does have a track record of being short on parts from what I hear but I have not experienced this, pick the type of gun you want then find the supplier that offers the best deal/quality on that gun.

I'm putting together one of their English Fowler kits for my father. All parts were in stock and accounted for. The inletting is 90%-95% done. Barrel channel needed some scraping for a good fit, breech tang was not inletted, buttplate is mostly inletted, but needs work. Lock is mostly inletted as well. All other parts have to be done by yourself. I like that, gives you a little leeway. Just take your time, and you'll do great. It's how I'm learning. I've had a good run lately with TOW, good people. Good luck!

As was mentioned, the "kits" from Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica, Muzzleloader Builders' Supply, Dixie and a number of other suppliers are far from drop together kits. They require a lot of work to put them together.
On the plus side, there are a lot of styles of stocks, locks, triggers etc that can, with enough time spent, create a good representation of the old historic guns.

Kits that are about 95 percent finished are available from Thompson Center, Traditions, Lymans and a few others. These are IMO great kits for a first time builder because they don't involve much more than sanding and finishing the wood and bluing or browning the barrel and polishing the brass.
They are however just production guns which were removed from the production line in an unfinished condition so the choices of styles are limited to what the factory makes as finished guns (mainly half stock rifles).

I would say a person who is handy with tools and wood finishing can make a commercial factory kit with about 20-30 hours of work.
A "kit" from a muzzleloading supplier like TOTW, PR, MBS will easily take the same person over 150 hours to finish.

There are also a few suppliers who make "finished in the white" "kits" where all of the assembly has been done so they need to be sanded and finished like the factory kits.
They have more choices available many of them being full stock rifles.
I believe Tennessee Valley Manufacturing is one of the suppliers of these guns.

zonie :)

billholmes:

I did a Bridger kit, it was,as others have said, a collection of rough done parts. Inletting is enough to let you know exactly what is the correct location of the part, but with enough work to be done that it could be screwed up fairly handily. I found that by practicing anything you were not sure of on a spare piece of wood or metal bar eliminated most of the risk. Take your time and ask questions > probably true of any kit, TOTW or not.

Mike

Another point to consider, and why we recommend you get a couple of books on how to build is that the "Kits" from Track Pecatonica and Chambers don't come with instructions. The commercial kits, like T/C, and Lyman do have instructions, but as Zonie has mentioned, these came off the line and final assembly, and finish is all they generally need. As mentioned Track sometimes backorders parts, so it is good to call them to make your order as they will tell you if stuff is out of stock. Sometimes a stock or barrel may not be available, as these kits are nothing more than a collection of the parts needed to build that style, or they may not have the grade or type of wood you wish. Generally backorders aren't more than two weeks max, and they will ship the backorder for free.

Bill

Why do you put your two cents in...but it's only a penny for your thoughts. Where's that extra penny going to?

"Why do you put your two cents in...but it's only a penny for your thoughts. Where's that extra penny going to?

Taxes...

tg said:
"Why do you put your two cents in...but it's only a penny for your thoughts. Where's that extra penny going to?

Taxes...

50% sounds like Canadian taxes :rotf:

I was seriously considering getting a get from TOW. I had everything picked out. But, I wanted to go to friendship and talk to some people there. I am certainly glad I did. I was concerned about money, but after I went there, and looked at the Pecatonica , Tip Curtis, Dunlop, and Chambers kits, my mind was made up pretty quickly. Chambers are expensive, but they are worth it. A lot more of the inletting is done, the stocks are a better quality wood in my opinion, and the barrels are better. The Rice barrel from Chambers comes with the dovetails cut. Whereas the Rice barrel from TOW will cost you $15 for each dovetail. That's $15x5 dovetails (3 lugs, 2 sights) = $75 that is included with the Chambers.
Plus, Jim Chambers is an excellent guy to work with.

If you can, go to Friendship tomorrow, not as many people will be there next weekend. A lot of the shops were leaving midweek. If not, wait till the Spring. I talked to Mike Miller, a rep. from Rice Barrel, Homer Dangler, Pecatonica, Tip Curtis and Jim Chambers today. Just don't be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!!!

But if you're looking for a .50 "C" Rice from Chambers, they told me I'd get my barrel in 6-8 weeks :(

I would go to Jim Chambers flintlocks for a kit. Unless you want something they don't make.
TOW is a pretty good place to get stuff but the Chambers kits are probably the best and most complete on the market. For the beginning builder they are the best choice.

Dan

I have put together two of Track's parts sets, their Bedford and Kit Carson's rifle. I received all of the parts that I ordered within a few days and was happy with the quality. One thing I would do different from their recommendation though. I would use 1/16" pins rather than the 3/32" pins that they recommend. You can get the 1/16" pin stock locally using either drill rod or 0.063" piano wire.

They have done one irritating thing that you should be forewarned. Twice I have called them right back after placing an order to add an item that I forgot. I asked them if they could put it in with the order and they said yes. However, they ended up shipping the item separately and charging me another $4.50 shipping for a single screw or similar small part. :cursing:

A few years back I ordered a Dickert kit from TOW and due to the faulty Siler flintlock {not Chambers} and a very warped precarve,the kit was returned w/o any problems. Today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this same kit from them seeing a Chambers' lock could be purchased. Since then many components have been purchased from them and I'm very satisfied w/ their service and parts w/ this caveat....when ordering, ask if the items are in stock otherwise some of the back orders can take awhile.......Fred

Thanks.
I am thinking of a French Tulle or Isaac Haines. as for hte wood. I am willing to go up a grade. i dont want to psend too much more as this is the first I have ever worked on but I think it would be at least worth the extra little bit to get a decent stock blank.

What do you think? Would you know of any others out there making kits about the same price that would be better for a beginning builder?

Thanks again, Bill

Good choice for a first. Plain maple will look good on that rifle. Walnut would be better. If you go for a supercurly stock and you are after curl ask for red maple. The curls will be more evident. The sugar maple stocks are more dense (about the same as the walnut). Note: The less curl you have the easier to carve. Tell track what you want. If you don't like what they send you send it back. I always pick my own stocks and blanks. If you have a place near by it is a good way to figure out what it is you like. I hand picked a $350 blank (now a rifle) that I have found doesn't appeal to me, personaly, as much as some of my $135 blanks. I hope this helps, feel free to contact me.

The TOW Tulle 44"barreled gun with walnut is about the closest thing to a real Tulle around, needs a bit of lock tweeking but just minor stuff, the .62 bore is the best choice as the .58 is a bit heavier and thicker at the muzzle.Several makers put out a good Haines pats set.

Back