• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional ML'ing on the rise?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to the Internet I can get the supplies I need. (Just spent over $100 ordering Swiss powder.)

I seem to be the only one at my rifle/pistol range that uses black powder and I feel that I am of the isolated fringe that you spoke of. The feeling I get is that they are more afraid of the large boom and white smoke than of the assault gun pimps that visit the range.

God bless Sir Whitworth and the Frenchman that invented the Charleville.

TANSTAAFL said:
IMO, (others may dissent) the current Trad ML affair took off with the CW centennial back in 1961

I hope you're right, because the ACW sesquicentennial is just five years away. With luck, that may attrack more newcomers to black powder and sidelocks.

Media could help with that. If some CW movie portrays those arms as particularly desirable, every CW nut will want to shoot one. Just think of how many moviegoers were influenced by "Jeremiah Johnson"'s desire for a genuine 50 cal Hawken (I know I was, and I was only 6).

Unfortunately, repro CW rifle muskets can handle substitutes, so even a large rise in popularity there might not do much to protect our access to real powder. Nor are they particularly associated with hunting, so they might do little to promote using traditional tools in the woods.

Dan in da U.P.

I would have thought that the general clamping down on on guns and gun ownership would lead to an increase in muzzeloading ownership . Every time you read a news paper you see an artical about some county or state thats tightening up the laws about purchasing and or carrying pistols and rifles and even shotguns .You have to go through more tests and pay more fees and they keep trying to make the waiting period longer , right now it's 15 days for a pistol in Ca . But you can still go into a gun store and buy black powder guns and powder and bballs or bullets and walk right out go home or to a range and have fun . Plus the production grade guns are very affordable compared to smokeless guns I would think that in itself would be a tremendose incentive for sales of muzzel loaders but it does not seem to work that way . I mean it works great for me but I don't see a lot of others doing it . To me it's like the best kept secret I wish it were not our hobby needs more participants . I'm very lucky whare I live in so Ca most of our gun stores have black powder supplies and we even have two or three good muzzel loading specialty stores within 60 miles as I"m one of those old timers that likes to pick up and drool on what ever I might be trying to buy I hate buying through the mail and I realy hate waiting several days for it to arive . Anyway I like the idea of a good new movie to premote interest in muzzel loading , If any directors out there are workin on such a project I'm not to bizzy I"m in the book lol .

bp junky said:
Anyway I like the idea of a good new movie to premote interest in muzzel loading , If any directors out there are workin on such a project I'm not to bizzy I"m in the book lol .

Oh Oh!
That reminds me, time to watch Last of the Mohicans and Quigley Down Under again.

Back