• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional squirrel hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russianblood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunted opening day of small game season traditional this year.

opening-day.jpg

It was the maiden hunt for my 20 bore Northwest Trade Gun. I went 3 for 5 on the day. :grin:

Nice brace of squirrels. My main weapon for squirrel hunting is a single shot shotgun but I have been carrying my 51 colt navy for those close shots.

Don

Way to go, bicuits and gravy coming right up.

Our squirrel season here in AZ doesn't open until the 17th October, will be chasing the tassel eared Abert then.

3Beavers said:
Good hunt!
What distances were your shots?
What was your load combo?
Regards,Jed.

The distance ranged from 5 yds to around 30 yds. I use 70gr 2f KIK, overpowder card, a 1/8" felt wad, 1 1/8oz #6 magnum shot and an overshot card.

I ended up having to toss the small squirrel (in the middle of the "string") as he was the one that was only 5 yds away and he was too full of lead to make skinning him worth while. :haha:

Thanks for the info.
(I recently got a similar T.G.)
P8060009A.jpg

-Can hardly wait to get it out"in the field"
Regards,Jed.

Russianblood,
I personally use my .32 Traditions
Crockett for squirrel and really don't have
much success till the leaves fall. But after that
usually if I can see them they are dinner.
Browned up in a cast iron skillet
then covered with a can of mushroom soup,simmer
till tender and served over wild rice. Oh, that
is good.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

snake-eyes said:
Russianblood,
I personally use my .32 Traditions
Crockett for squirrel and really don't have
much success till the leaves fall. But after that
usually if I can see them they are dinner.
Browned up in a cast iron skillet
then covered with a can of mushroom soup,simmer
till tender and served over wild rice. Oh, that
is good.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

That does sound good!

3Beavers said:
Thanks for the info.
(I recently got a similar T.G.)
P8060009A.jpg

-Can hardly wait to get it out"in the field"
Regards,Jed.

That's a nice looking gun. What's the barrel lenght? I have a 28 bore canoe gun from Jackie Brown as well. It will be with me on my next squirrel hunt.

Mr. Russianblood,
WOW! I had forgotten how large real Squirrels can be. Red Squirrels up here are about 1/2 the size. Takes four or five to make a meal for one person, plus fixins.
Best Wishes

How long do you carry those things around with the guts in em? I usally gut game as soon as it hits the ground. Those critters were starting to "Puff Up" I bet they :rotf: had a fine oder when you did gut em out. :rotf:

It didn't take that long to get them. From the first shot to leaving the woods was only 2 hours. The last one I shot on my way out. :grin:

opening-day.jpg

Russianblood,is that headgear "hunter-orange"?
If so,is it required in your state?
Regards,Jed.

Congrats on a fine harvest! :applause:
Nice pic. :thumbsup:
Now you've got me wanting to
hit the woods, and I've got
to wait till sept 30th. :(

Back