• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .50 lightning problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11acr

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Changed to the 209 primer conversion kit now after 1 shot the hammer assembly locks up with the trigger in the full back position. Only way to release it is to take it all apart. Any one know why this is happening and what I can do do to remedy it. i really like this gun but just switched so i could use BP pellets and stronger primers as the tiny caps were a pain in the dark or rain.Went back to original type just to make sure trigger/hammer assembly was Ok and all works good. thanks in advance....

It appears you have your answer - The gun doesn't like the pellets & primers.

Not certain why you felt pellets & primers were necessary? A $15 capper would have solved your issue of cap handling....

The gun he is referring to, is a modern inline....

Forum rule# 3
We do not discuss modern (in-line) muzzleloading firearms or breech-loaders.
Discussing them by calling them, "unmentionables" or "the guns we don't discuss here", is a sure way to have your account deleted.

colorado clyde said:
The gun he is referring to, is a modern inline....

Forum rule# 3
We do not discuss modern (in-line) muzzleloading firearms or breech-loaders.
Discussing them by calling them, "unmentionables" or "the guns we don't discuss here", is a sure way to have your account deleted.

Thanks for clarifying that Clyde, sometimes I say too little, sometimes too much. Often I say just enough (when I keep pie hole shut down)

As several of our members mentioned, we don't discuss in-line type muzzleloaders (except for cap and ball pistols).

The reason for this is, years ago, verbal wars broke out between the traditional folks and the in-line folks on this site.
Most of the heated words had to do with hunting but whatever the driver was, Claude (the owner) decided enough is enough so talk of those guns was forbidden.

We have a lot of people here who know a lot about muzzleloading of all types so stick around and read what they have to say.

Much of it will apply to you and a lot can be learned here. :thumbsup:

I been shooting BP nigh on to 45 years and I truly do OFTEN learn USEFUL stuff here. Our members know (and those that dont dont know they dont they think they do but they dont. They will be easy to pick out cuz they dont really know, so disregard what they have to say) :hmm:

Although the OP did not say what rifle he has, he did say he switched to the 209 conversion. This is available out there to convert the sidelock percussion to 209 primers. That is the scenario I read into the OP. Maybe the OP could clarify what rifle he has?

I have thought of trying them out on one of my rifles but lack of good information has kept me from doing so. I tend to like to read up on these types of things a lot before I try it out.

IMO, those 209 thingies made for sidelocks aren't worth the bother.

What with having to frinkle around with sticking the primer in and screwing on the cap (that can easily be dropped) before you fire and then possibly needing to pry the somewhat stuck primer back out of the thing after firing it seems like too much work for this child.

Ghettogun said:
Although the OP did not say what rifle he has, he did say he switched to the 209 conversion. This is available out there to convert the sidelock percussion to 209 primers. That is the scenario I read into the OP. Maybe the OP could clarify what rifle he has?

Post titled Traditions .50 Lightning. I googled before my post just to make sure. She be an inline

Back