• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .54 caplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Traditions.54 cal. anybody have an opinion on the .54 cal. I have seen lots of talk about the .50 and .58 but not a lot about the .54. Any comments welcome. :master:

IronMan

The .54 caliber is an great caliber. It would be the one caliber I would recommend over all others. I started with a .54 caliber and maybe I favor it some, but that bigger roundball at longer ranges with the extra mass just seems to do a better job at bring down game.

What little extra the lead costs is well worth it. As for extra powder to shoot it, that's not true. You can load them any way you like and my .50 caliber average about the same bullet charge as the .54 calibers.

Geat choice, and you're going to have a fine rifle there....

I would recommend the .54 cal. over the .50 if you plan to hunt big game. Even for deer sized game it gives you a bit of an edge. Yes, the .50 cal will work, but there is nothing it can do that the .54 can't do better.

Actually, I think there are a lot of .54 cal. shooters on this forum. I have both a Lyman Trade Rifle and GPR in .50 cal. and if I'd had the option of a .54 cal in either model I would have bought that instead. :imo: There's nothing you can do with a .50 that you can't do a little better with a .54.

Rebel,

I guess you beat me to the punch. I was distracted in the middle of typing the reply. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the rapid replies. I have a CVA Bobcat in.50 and spoted the Traditions.54 while in a gunshop the other day and it really looked and felt good. Think I will go back after the first of the month and snatch it befor someone else does. :thumbsup:

Thanks again
IronMan

I agree with all thet has been mentioned about the .54 cal over the .50 cal.
One thing I would like to add is i see your an Okie and that tells me that your not far at al from some prime elk hunting territory. Therefor the .54 would be farmore a better cal to use for them also.
If I were to only own one M?L it would definately be in a .54cal IMHO

Woody

I agree with all thet has been mentioned about the .54 cal over the .50 cal.
One thing I would like to add is i see your an Okie and that tells me that your not far at al from some prime elk hunting territory. Therefor the .54 would be farmore a better cal to use for them also.
If I were to only own one M?L it would definately be in a .54cal IMHO

Woody

Woodie, I agree on the part about if I only owned one.

I own a couple. I don't think a feller can ever own too many .54's. I remember back in the days when it was hard to buy anything bigger than a .50.
Of course the custom builders, and those who knew a bit about muzzle loaders, were always "talkin" up the .54. But the common question was almost always "why" do ya want anything bigger? A .45 is good, and a .50 is great!

It seems that has changed over the years, I think for hunting use the .54 is probably now in favor.....by a large margin.

Russ

.54 is the way to go if you are shooting a sidelock. The extra oommph the ball gives to the animal is well worth the extra lead. I have two .54's. They are my "Meat gun" and
backup. Everything a .50 can do, .54 does. better. As far as in-lines go.......don't know, never shot one. :m2c:

Ironman, I had a 54cal. Traditions and I gave it to my son. It was and is a great gun. He only Had one and you should have two. I have two GPR in .54, one flint and one cap.

Thanks again guys.
I will head over to the gunshop next week and pick it up.
Will let ya know how it shoots :thumbsup:
IronMan

That's good I think you're gonna like it. Be sure to let us know how it shoots.

Rebel,
I coulda be a lot faster if I quit correcting my typos. :crackup:

Rebel,
I coulda be a lot faster if I quit correcting my typos.

Yea, me too. I guess i make less, or corect them faster than you do. ::

hey Iron
I agree with the rest and the 54 is my choice and been pushing round balls for 25 years and a few deer. It cant be beat. have fun and good choice.

Bearbeater

I've had my Traditions 54 cal. for 7 years now. Good for Deer, Elk, Hogs and just plain fun to shoot!! :imo:

I have two .54 and love them. I am confused regarding ballistics because I read something on the net that compared the ballistics of a .50 vs .54 and the ballistics were equal. I bought my Renegade for $80 in a pawn shop and paid $95 for my CVA.

Back