• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Rifle, really not a bad gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have converted several with the L&R lock some of them are great right from the get go and others need tuning and or tempering of the frizzen but are a better value then a true cva or traditions lock if you dont already have one, the only thing you give up is the adjustable sear but you can learn to shoot it without it
Do you know offhand if they make drop in (or close to it) set triggers for these rifles?

I've owned and used several Traditions' & CVA guns in the past. I was completely satisfied with them. They were accurate, killed their appropriate size game and were reliable. One, in fact, comes to mind when I think of accuracy. For many years I had a Traditions' Crockett .32 and regret ever selling it. Those barrels are amazing and compare well with most custom made barrels in the USA. I have a few more expensive rifles but I can't say any of them are more accurate than that Crockett. What I'm saying is that some of these "cheaper" imports can shoot just as well as $2000 hand made US models.

I've owned and used several Traditions' & CVA guns in the past. I was completely satisfied with them. They were accurate, killed their appropriate size game and were reliable. One, in fact, comes to mind when I think of accuracy. For many years I had a Traditions' Crockett .32 and regret ever selling it. Those barrels are amazing and compare well with most custom made barrels in the USA. I have a few more expensive rifles but I can't say any of them are more accurate than that Crockett. What I'm saying is that some of these "cheaper" imports can shoot just as well as $2000 hand made US models.
👍🏽

Attachments

• tmp.gif
    tmp.gif
    488.5 KB
I love my Traditions Kentucky rifle. Built it from a kit, and went for more of a trade gun look ; a no frills working gun of a 1820's free trapper. It's been accurate, reliable and a great value , I think I paid around $350 a few years ago.

My Traditions Hawken (cap lock) is scary accurate , one hole ragged groups at 50 yds, is the norm, better than most of my centerfire rifles.

138260-GEDC1439-2.JPG

I love my Traditions Kentucky rifle. Built it from a kit, and went for more of a trade gun look ; a no frills working gun of a 1820's free trapper. It's been accurate, reliable and a great value , I think I paid around $350 a few years ago.

My Traditions Hawken (cap lock) is scary accurate , one hole ragged groups at 50 yds, is the norm, better than most of my centerfire rifles.

138260-GEDC1439-2.JPG
Love the elegant simplicity of that sparker, kyron. I too, can easily see it in the hands of a trapper. I have 2 of the Traditions, cap lock Hawkens. One, a St. Louis kit done by a member here, the other a Woodsman. They are both extremely accurate. And very unfussy about ignition. I don't care about "budget" bashing. These are my go to rifles for ML season.
Your picture makes me want to add a Kentucky flinter. Thanks. SW

Boy they are beauty’s and that second one with all the inlay wowzers , love it!!!
Thanks! This is the other side of that one. This is a tribute to the 1830s dispute over the Maine-Canada border, culminating in the Aroostook War in 1838-39. The Republic of Madawaska, which had formed and attempted to separate from Canada, reportedly had a flag with an eagle and 6 stars. These are all handcut by me and secured with countersunk brass brads (5 in just the eagle.) I also did a little tang carving and added a wear plate. 20190730_191824.jpg20190730_192505.jpg20190730_212254.jpg

Thanks! This is the other side of that one. This is a tribute to the 1830s dispute over the Maine-Canada border, culminating in the Aroostook War in 1838-39. The Republic of Madawaska, which had formed and attempted to separate from Canada, reportedly had a flag with an eagle and 6 stars. These are all handcut by me and secured with countersunk brass brads (5 in just the eagle.) I also did a little tang carving and added a wear plate. View attachment 325415View attachment 325416View attachment 325414
Wow ,that is inspiring ! Thanks for sharing !!!

There are a few examples of takedown rifles. I just might try making one. Pin the fore, use a wedge key on the main body, and modify the tang into a hooked breech. Don't know if I'd do cap or flint, though.
There's no need to make the hooked breech. There are many rifles with wedge keys and a solid tang. It only takes a few seconds to unscrew the tang bolt and perhaps the real lock screw, then the barrel is easily removed when the wedges are removed. I do that with my Deringer replica rifle and my Harper's Ferry 1803.

You peaked my interest. I was given a Traditions .45 years ago with water damaged barrel with bad pitting. Any idea where I could find a replacement barrel to start a new project?

You peaked my interest. I was given a Traditions .45 years ago with water damaged barrel with bad pitting. Any idea where I could find a replacement barrel to start a new project?
Try Deer Creek Products. Good people ,lots of new old stock CVA parts.

A CVA 45 kit I assembled was the first ML I ever saw, held and shot. Bought it from DGW around 1972, think I paid $74. My kid brother "borrowed" it in 1980 and never gave it back. Fun little guns.

Back