• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions pennsylvania flintlock review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent to hear! If you have any mechanical skills look into building your own! An entire topic and conversation within itself.

You've been bit my the flint bug and there indeed is no turning back!

dinorocks, i'm not trying to hijack your thread, more i'm just conveying my experiences as we have the same rifle. Sounds like you are having the same troubles as I am (was). One other tip I can share is after cleaning my bore I use a can of computer keyboard cleaner and blow into the touch hole. This is just an extra precaution to guarantee no gunk has entered the patent breech. Last year I had a lot of problems with gunk jamming the patent breech and causing non-ignitions (too wet of a cleaning patch). I now have learned to use a very minimal amount of Murph's mix on my patch, then run a dry patch, then blow out the touch hole. This along with careful priming of the flash pan as I outlined above about guarantee's a perfect ignition. I also will wipe the frizzen and flint with some alcohol after like 5 shots.

Not to disagree with some mature black powder guru I have never met that set ya up with Bore Butter but I'd try other stuff first. Only gun I have that likes bore butter is a CVA bobcat .36 that almost got sold for no accuracy. Just a few weeks ago I tried 20+ year old bore butter and a ridiculous thin patch and got it shooting. I have now made up several "dutch shoultz" patches to see if I can tighten the 1" group down to clover leaf (which IMHO any rifled barrel should do at 25yds).

Back