• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a Traditions Pennsylvaina Flintlock today. Very well manufactured very high quality. Wood is superb. lock is extreamly well built. Needless to say I'm very pleased.

Juggernaut

rebel,
There was a wall full of Traditions parts and accessories. Buddy of mine has several if and when he needed something sent off and always got it.

Juggernaut

rebel, Yes at sportmans warehouse here local. I have a traditions catalog as all those spare parts in there as well as the accessories.

Juggernaut

Strange that Traditions doesn't have parts then. Fella here on the forum has been waiting since June for a lock from them. I am still waiting to hear from there supervisor about some problems.

The Traditions Penn rifle is very nicely done. It is their 'flagship' model in their traditional lineup. I've handled a few of them and have always been impressed with the fit/finish. The stock however does not fit me well. And as others have mentioned the service and parts can be very spotty. Non the less enjoy yer new rifle and show up some pics! :grin:

I've only dealt with Traditions customer service twice that I remember. I got my parts in a matter of days each time though.

Have fun! I bought a traditions kentucky classic going on 8 months ago and love it! I wont ever buy a percussion rifle or the new BP rifle ever. I had issues with my flints breaking ALL of the time. I got a new frizzen from traditions as an replacement and put it on, still did the same thing! Finally took out the old hammer and flattened out a round ball, trimmed it to fit the jaws and im on shot #40 with the same flint. Just thought i'd add that incase you have any flint issues.

Kentuckywindage said:
Have fun! I bought a traditions kentucky classic going on 8 months ago and love it! I wont ever buy a percussion rifle or the new BP rifle ever. I had issues with my flints breaking ALL of the time. I got a new frizzen from traditions as an replacement and put it on, still did the same thing! Finally took out the old hammer and flattened out a round ball, trimmed it to fit the jaws and im on shot #40 with the same flint. Just thought i'd add that incase you have any flint issues.

Kentucky Windage,
Yes I'm very impressed with this Traditions Pennsylvaina All the craftsmenship with the brass, and high quality walnut stock, very nice. So far no problems with Frizzen and or lock, I'm currently in front of my desk typing this with her in my lap cleaning the bore. Keep me posted on yours and how she is proforming.
Juggernaut

On how shes performing??? How's 1 1/2" groups resting across a 4 wheeler seat with 110 grain fffg goex and patched round ball? Take a look at my avatar pic. Thats what this kentucky brought down this years hunting season lol. It was THE best hunting season ever. I just finished the back half of the stock now. I stripped the factory finish and went witha dark walnut stain and 4 coats of tru oil and then took 2000grit sand paper and 0000 steel wool to take out the shiny look. After the stock, the barrel is getting stripped the bare metal and im going to try bleaching it to get the old metal look. Hopefully it will come out good! Hope you enjoy your new gun.. Make sure you tell us how it shoots!

Kentuckywindage said:
On how shes performing??? How's 1 1/2" groups resting across a 4 wheeler seat with 110 grain fffg goex and patched round ball? Take a look at my avatar pic. Thats what this kentucky brought down this years hunting season lol. It was THE best hunting season ever. I just finished the back half of the stock now. I stripped the factory finish and went witha dark walnut stain and 4 coats of tru oil and then took 2000grit sand paper and 0000 steel wool to take out the shiny look. After the stock, the barrel is getting stripped the bare metal and im going to try bleaching it to get the old metal look. Hopefully it will come out good! Hope you enjoy your new gun.. Make sure you tell us how it shoots!

Kentucky Windage,
That sounds like a plan!! What kind of flints are you useing? English, french amber,etc? I have some German black flints I picked up while on vacation there a few years ago. They work very well.

Juggernaut

Upon further cleaning and inspecting of this fine rifle. I have found a few other items that express they excellent workmenship from Traditions. They took the time to align all the slots on the screw heads in the same direction. Now that is what I call Quality Control!!!!!!

Juggernaut

I have a Tradition Crockett in 32 cal and percussion. It is the nicest looking rifle I have today. The balance is superb and easy to carry. Would not be a pain to hunt with for hours.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

Any online sources? I use a Traditions PA rifle as part of my mobile school exhibit. No problems, but I haven't fired it yet either. I'd like to have some sources lined up in case something unforseen happens.

Tnx

Rick

Juggernaut said:
rebel,
...Buddy of mine has several if and when he needed something sent off and always got it.

Juggernaut

Juggernaut said:
Upon further cleaning and inspecting of this fine rifle. I have found a few other items that express they excellent workmenship from Traditions. They took the time to align all the slots on the screw heads in the same direction. Now that is what I call Quality Control!!!!!!

Juggernaut

Hey Juggernaut,

Glad you're happy with your Traditions PA. If that's the longrifle, I have one word of caution for you. Don't remove the front lock screw or it will drop the spring that holds the ramrod in the ramrod channel and jam the ramrod. They warn you about it in the book, but it's easy to miss.

If you do pull the screw out too far, then you'll have to remove the barrel to re-set the ramrod spring. I ended up pinning that little spring in place because it was just too hard not to remove that screw when I remove the lock for cleaning.

I'm very happy with mine, though I've certainly made some changes and done some tuning to it. It's a real straight shooter. The wood on mine is a particularly nice piece of a tiger-striped walnut.

I ordered a few extra lock screws for mine because I dropped one in the grass once at a reenactment, and couldn't find it. Took a couple of weeks to get but they were cheap and it's better to have a spare or two on hand. Screws they sent were a bit too long. I ground them down on my bench grinder and dressed the edges with a file to get the fit I wanted.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Juggernaut said:
Picked up a Traditions Pennsylvaina Flintlock today. Very well manufactured very high quality. Wood is superb. lock is extreamly well built. Needless to say I'm very pleased.

Juggernaut

At a recent rondy a fellow brought one of these that he bought used with a missing rear sight and ramrod. He replaced the sight with a Hawken one and had a brass ramrod---but that thing would SHOOT! He was hitting a small gong at 100 yds offhand! I was impressed with the apparent quality for the money.

I bought my Traditions Flintlock Pennsylvania Rifle 17 months ago and have now shot over 3800 rounds out of it. It shoots very well and with good accuracy. This summer while cleaning the barrel out of the stock, I noticed around the vent a thin 1/2 moon (what I thought was a crack)crack. I called Tradtions and sent it to them. They told me the Liner is screwed into a bushing and that's what I was seeing. I told them it was leaking and please check it out. About 4 days later the barrel was back to me. They told me it wasn't repairable. It still leaked when I put some air pressure down the barrel. I cleaned it really good and pushed some epoxy into the opening. I only clean it now with a plastic hose down the barrel with hot 120 degree water. Doing this 98% of the fouling comes out. So far so good, it doesn't leak anymore, even after a day of shooting. I measured the vent area and I can't drill it out and install a White Lightning Liner because of this bushing. It is well made and I enjoying shooting it at 100 yards.

Did the vent liner leak happen because you were removing the vent hole liner during each cleaning, or did it develop on it's own?

Also, is the barrel a standard size & possible to replace with an aftermarket (i.e. Green Mountain) barrel? :hmm:

I'm updating my ARW video, and I plan to videotape my PA rifle in action. Did your rifle require sighting in? Was it necessary to file down the front sight?

Also, the rear sight leaf is quite thick, and the elevation screw looks too small to be effective...is this the case, or is the rear sight adjustment adequate?

Thanks,

Rick

(post scrip-anyone with sage advise & experience, please do weigh in)

xbowman said:
I bought my Traditions Flintlock Pennsylvania Rifle 17 months ... This summer while cleaning the barrel out of the stock, I noticed around the vent a thin 1/2 moon crack. [Traditions] told me it wasn't repairable...

Back