• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvania rifle breech problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it seems most .17 cal jags are a smaller thread size and nobody makes a thread adapter for em, or a long enough rod. :cursing: so, I took my .22 cal brush an used some pliers to bend back the bristles and it now slides into the patent breech enough to see the bristles through the vent hole. With a patch however it will slide in only enough to barely see the tip through the vent hole

I bought a flint Pedersoli Pennsylvania Rifle from a pawn shop that initially gave me the same types of problems with the patented powder chamber. I solved it by pulling the touch hole liner (which was really fouled and stuck in place) and screwed a nylon treaded rod tip into the hole to seal it well. I filled the bore with soapy water and scrubbed down in the powder chamber well with a military 5.56mm brush on many rod sections so that I could reach.

Since that initial thorough cleaning, I now pull the touch hole liner at every cleaning and use a flush tube for cleaning followed by cotton q-tips and pipe cleaners up into the powder chamber from the breech end the best I can. I also twist a q-tip into the end of my ramrod and run it from the muzzle end down into the powder chamber. I don't use petroleum based products on any kind. I also enlarge the holes of the touch hole liners to 1/16".

I never have powder chamber fowling problems anymore.

Why, I thank you for all the responses.

About the breech jag: I took an 2"long 8-32 screw, cut off the head (so I have just the threaded part), length-wise I filed off a face of thread on one end of the screw (about 0.5" in length), and I got myself a homemade jag. It's not round-ended, but the remaining thread will grab the patch, and the filed-off side will allow the patch down the breech. 4-5 twist, and all kinds of gunk are coming out, and that's how I wipe down the breech between shots.

Back