• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Shenandoah 50 Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzkat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a Traditions Shenandoah Flinter 50 cal. It has no patchbox.
The barrel has surface rust and it is loaded and
won't fire. The toe plate is also rusted. It has not been well cared for, but can be brought back to life. Can you share some opinions on the
value of this?

In the condition you describe I would offer less than $100 for it. Depends on how much you want to haggle. But with a dead load in the barrel it is a pig in a poke....................watch yer top knot....................

Could go either way with rust and load in the barrel :idunno: ! If you can get it cheap enough, though, it might be worth the gamble. As far as the rifle itself, I have one that is very accurate. I had a little trouble with the lock at first, but after fiddling with it for a few months and learning how to shoot a flintlock, it is now pretty reliable.

Traditions "traditional" muzzleloaders are not known for their quality. Many consider them to be poor at best. With the condition you describe, I would take the rifle off of the sellers hands if he gave me $20.00.

First I would call Traditions to find out about parts availability. I called them about getting parts for my caplock Kentucky and the told me they can't get a barrel for me to convert it to flinter. WHAT!!! If you can't get replacement parts your done before you start. Next is the condition of the bore. Too rusty to save and your done. You should be able to pull the ball out or discharge it with a CO2 discharger so that's not really a deal breaker to me. External surface rust can be fixed by rebluing the barrel which is not hard to do. In my opinion bigest deal breaker is parts availability and rusty bore. Value??? Deal breaker condition $0...rebuildable $100-$200 :2

Back