• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions trapper pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkmaster

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It would seem to me that the Traditions Trapper Pistol is about as close to a T/C Patriot pistol as I can find? Anyone owned or have owned one of these Traditions Trapper pistols in the past? I am hoping they are a bit better quality than say a CVA weapon. Anything that can be shared would be appeciated.
Milkmaster

I received a trapper percussion pistol for Christmas and took it to the range today. There is much info on this forum about the trapper (do a search). Due to time available today I just fired six shots. Using 20 grains 3F and patched .490 round ball the first shot at 25yds hit level with but several inches to the right of the X ring. Noticed that the front sight (made out of brass-not good) was bent. Staightened the front sight and next shot was a 10 just below the X. Shot four more times-three 9's and one 8. A 45 out of 50 isn't bad for the first time out. I like the pistol. Fit and finish are good. Very easy to clean by removing the barrel. The double set triggers are good. I think the pistol will shoot possibles at 25 yds. Recoil is nearly nothing at 20 grains. I may change the front sight. I also have the Crockett .32 caliber pistol. I like it but it has been a little more finicky in finding the right load.

well I got mine a year aso christmas!
trigger is excellent, sights ok, front blade is soft so handle accordingly. I have been pleased with mine, it shoots far better than me. finding a goodgrip is key. mine shoots .490's and .015 patches lubed with olive oil mostly.
I started at 30 gr3f and have backed down to 25 then 20 and now 15 gr 3F. 15 gr works well out to 25 yd with excellent groups, when we shoot 35 or farther, I step up to 20 gr. Idid notice that withanything over 25 gr, Iwas getting a lot of unburned powder outside the barrel.
I have this one and also a william parker, they are both shooters and give me good scores on the aggregate and do well on the trail walks.

Brett

I recently built the Trapper from a kit and I love it. From a bench at 25 yards it shoots magnificent:better than most of my center fire pistols do.

I too am using 20 grains of 3 f with a .490 ball and a .018 patch. That shoots tighter than 15 grains does.

Heck of a pistol except for the ugly nose cap. Mine is accurate to 75 yards kneeling. .490 rb w/ .015 patch over 25 grains GOEX 3f.
Look hard at the ramrod. I replaced mine with a split of ash because it had runout.

I have one in flint, I prefer my traditions parker hale, the trapper is a bit too muzzleheavy for me, the PH is a tack driver!

I own the Trapper and Patriot both. The Trapper easily shoots with my Patriot. I like the Trapper's trigger a bit better than the Patriot. It's a bit muzzle heavy but that makes it very stable for target shooting. As Steven said, it'll outshoot many centerfires. I think they're one of the best values out there.

If you want more info on either gun, please feel free to ask here or PT me.

I too found the Trapper to be muzzle heavy. I took care of that by filling the hollow butt cap with lead from the pot while casting rbs. Now its just plain heavy!
Moose

I may stick some loose lead under the butt cap to try that out. I can't imagine making the gun heavier though. I like the weight of the Patriot, but the muzzle heavy Trapper sure is a stable platform.

Mine shoots great as well. It is a flint gun, and would not be with out it. The set trigger is a big plus for me.
Craig

I am getting some arthritis and find it a little hard to handle.
Thinking about sawing off a few inches.

Now there's an idea! I think I'm gonna order a spare barrel and cut it back 1/2 inch at a time and see if I can find that perfect balance point.

Latest posts

Back