• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Nick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering adding a single shot pistol to my BP arsnel. I like the looks of the Traditions Trapper Pistol 50 cal. I like the Idea of adjustible sights. Has any one had experience with this pistol? How does the accuracy compare to other models? It has a 1-20 twist. Is this a little fast for round ball?

I built a Traditions percussion pistol in 50 cal from a kit. I believe it is the "trapper," but I can't remember for sure. It doesn't have (or need) adjustable sights. Pistols generally come with a pretty fast twist, even for roundball shooting, according to the literature that came with it. Pistols weren't used for any distance shooting, but for close-in shooing. If you can hit a pumpkin at 50 feet, you are pretty steady. Shooting is more like pointing at the target than aiming. :m2c:

Nick-I have a Trapper pistol,I bought mine after a post by WestCoastB/Pgramps. I really like mine, did a little work on the lock and trigger,still playing around with loads for the 50yds. off hand. I did not care for the rear sight so I change that,all in all I think it is a good pistol for the money. My trapper shot well out the box. Hope this helps...Respectfully Montanadan

Montanadan, did you change the rear sight to another adjustible or a fixed.

Nick-I went with another adjustable,I had one off S-270Pedesoli.I had to do a liitle work to make it fit the dove tail.All my other pistols are fixed sight, I may go to that on the trapper. The loads they recomend in the owners manual are actually pretty good at 25yds.,I went to a.018 patch at fifty yds with 25grns. of 3fg. I really do not think I have enough rounds fired through this pistol,to say for sure(.010patch with a .490rb is a waste in my pistol). I keep shooting my little Crockett pistol(32cal) it is a absolute tack driver(and every one else likes it too). I only use 18grns 3fg.Goex at 25yds(.015 patch)for the trapper,it will consistently shoot mid-90's at 25(no wind). The fun part is just trying out to see what works.I hope I have helped..Respectfully Montanadan... Try Stumpkiller's liquid patch lube,it really helped the groups

I haven't actually met the Trapper in person, only pictures. I don't do well with V notch sights but prefer square notch rear and square blade in front. I like my 1858 Remington target sights and have in the past filed a square notch on the hammer of colt cap & ball revolvers along with ading a square blade up front. I probably should try to find a Traper to view the sights. Has the problem with the Trapper sights been the style, type of notch or just poor construction?

Mr.Nick,
I'm just the opposite of the others (figures). I changed the front sight. I can't see those skinny brass sights. Put on a blocky front and opened up the rear. It made it a tack driver for me out to 25-30yds. I shoot 25 grains, 490 bal, and 015 patch. Once sighted, I never move the adjustible sight.

Hank in WV

Hank in WV. Was that the Trapper that you changed the sights on? If so did you retain the adjustable rear? I do the same thing when I square my sights. Usually go with about an 1/8" blade up front and plenty of light on the sides of the square notch. Even then I use light power reading glasses for shooting glasses.

Mr Nick,
Same pistol. My front sight is 1/8 also. I just filed the original rear sight notch wider and deeper. Once I worked up a good load, I never readjust the sight. It works great for me. Set up my rifles the same way.

Hank

MR Nick:

I have two Trapper's, a percussion and a flint. Love to shoot then both, they both shoot about 3 inch groups at 25 yrds using 30 gr. of Goex(flint) or 30 gr. of pyro P(percussion).
The flintlock I got from Midsouth at a good price and the percussion was a kit I found at a local gunsmith for a very good price. the kit wasn't to bad to assemble, just a few hours. the hardest part was getting a good tight fit barrel to lock.
Montandan glad you like the one you got. what loads are you using?
TRADITIONSPISTOL01ax.jpg

rex westcoastBPgramps
BP shooting is fun

WestCoastB/PGramps-I really enjoy mine,it is a cap/lock.I have not actually settled on a definite load,20grn 3fg Goex,.490rb with .015 patch looks good @25yds. Tried some Pyro P 25grns,.490 and .018 patch at 50 yds showed some promise until the wind came up.Wyoming=Wind. I keep picking up my little crockett(32 cal) pistol for 25yd work,this little pistol always makes me look good.Back to the trapper,I think with some tinkering and load work,it will shoot really good. Thanks for your info on the trapper..Respectfully Montanadan

Back