• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a fan of Traditions guns. Might be a decent starter gun for a kid, but IMO anyone who is serious about muzzleloaders will consider better quality firearms. Let the flaming begin.
That is a fine opinion. But I do disagree that one's level of seriousness about BP depends on whether or not they are willing to spend big money they may or may not be able to afford. All of my guns to date have not been Traditions but many of them have and I've done quite well with them. And can still afford a cheeseburger on the way home.

Since we are talking traditions kits let me ask.

Are they basically just finish the stock with stain and polish the furniture and bolt it together?

Why do I want to pay $650 for a mountain flintlock? Will it last me for years if I shoot it often?

I doubt anybody deliberately buys a bad muzzleloader or a a bad anything. For myself, over the years I bought what I could afford within the knowledge base I had at that time. You live and learn, have more money at times, and buy a better gun. Then you get older and retire and have less money again. You should always live within your means. I’ll never throw rocks at anybody for buying what they believe to the best they can afford at that time.
Very well stated, TDM.

This was the beginnings of my half inch smoothbore Traditions critter getter.
Found a replacement wooden stock for cheap. Got an octagonal to round 31" long barrel. Refinished the stock, browned the barrel and added a buffalo horn butt plate.

fifty smoothie project.3.jpg

If I were in a position to buy $1500 guns that’s what I’d have, but I’ve got a daughter in medical school, another getting a doctorate level nurse practitioner degree and my youngest is in veterinary school. At the moment my guns are $3-500 guns. No reason for some of you to be so judgy.

Last edited:
I got my first (and only) Traditions a year ago.
My reasoning was:
It was a step up in caliber from the current ML rifle I was using, a custom
It was carbine length, which will work much better for me in a spot I like to use for deer
It was pretty with its dark stain and inlay, described as like new
It was only 375 shipped, a good price at the time
It was being sold by a long standing and familiar forum member offloading some of their stuff
I'm an impulse buyer

And after shooting it I have no complaints.

But I can't say I would own another either.
It has filled its niche.

Since we are talking traditions kits let me ask.

Are they basically just finish the stock with stain and polish the furniture and bolt it together?

Why do I want to pay $650 for a mountain flintlock? Will it last me for years if I shoot it often?
No they also need some inletting. Wood removed, barrel browned or blued.

The traditions mountain rifle is a fine rifle and like anything, it will provide a lifetime if service.

You can see my hawken being put together here,
https://bs-bp.forumotion.com/t354-building-the-traditions-st-louis-hawken-kit-gun

If I we’re in a position to buy $1500 guns that’s what I’d have, but I’ve got a daughter in medical school, another getting a doctorate level nurse practitioner degree and my youngest is in veterinary school. At the moment my guns are $3-500 guns. No reason for some of you to be so judgy.
Don't think that because you go out and spend $1500+ on a custom rifle means you're getting a good one! It's sad, but true.

No they also need some inletting. Wood removed, barrel browned or blued.

The traditions mountain rifle is a fine rifle and like anything, it will provide a lifetime if service.

You can see my hawken being put together here,
https://bs-bp.forumotion.com/t354-building-the-traditions-st-louis-hawken-kit-gun
That turned out exceptionally well.

Shows you don't need to shell out a ton of cash for a respectable and reliable game getter.

I've never owned a half stock rifle.

That may have to change in the next few months.

Back