• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that's your business. If that's all you can afford, great.

Funny how it's taboo to trash somebody's choice in going with Traditions, yet it's perfectly OK to scorn those of us who can, or simply choose to go with better quality firearms. Not my fault your checkbook is full of cobwebs. Blame yourself for that!
Why trash traditions at all? What do you get from it?
I have one. It was what i wanted. It was what i wanted to spend, and it does what it is supposed to. As a client told us recently, some folks eats lobster, some eats hot dog.
Neither one is better the other. Especially when we are all using outdated equipment for fun.

Why trash traditions at all? What do you get from it?

This subject intrigues me since I've returned to the hobby after a long hiatus. It's such an odd thing. I think there are 2 things going on here.

1. Adler described a complex involving cognitive bias, where people essentially develop the need to overcome underlying feelings of inferiority. He named it Superiority Complex (link). Individuals with this complex typically come across as supercilious, haughty, and disdainful toward others. I.e. my muzzleloader choice is better than yours, because I am superior to you.

2. There are people trying to develop or maintain businesses selling products or services; American capitalism at work. Squashing, denigrating, slandering, etc, the competition is a long-proven way to increase your sales. It's economics 101. I.e. Traditions are garbage - buy my services or the muzzleloader I market because it's waaaay better.

This subject intrigues me since I've returned to the hobby after a long hiatus. It's such an odd thing. I think there are 2 things going on here.

1. Adler described a complex involving cognitive bias, where people essentially develop the need to overcome underlying feelings of inferiority. He named it Superiority Complex (link). Individuals with this complex typically come across as supercilious, haughty, and disdainful toward others. I.e. my muzzleloader choice is better than yours, because I am superior to you.

2. There are people trying to develop or maintain businesses selling products or services; American capitalism at work. Squashing, denigrating, slandering, etc, the competition is a long-proven way to increase your sales. It's economics 101. I e. Traditions are garbage - buy the muzzleloader I market because it's waaaay better.
Sometimes it turns out the "superior" item is made by the same company as the inferiors ones...lol

How many people started with a cheap ML only to upgrade and get fully hooked? The cheap and easily had guns are simply "gateway" drugs and shouldn't be laughed at as they keep adding to our ranks.
My first unmentionable was cheap trash. The slide went down range after 250 rounds. 😆
But we learn what we want and dont want only after the first experience.
I appreciate the lessons learned with the inexpensive stuff but now i know better. And that is really what i want. To be a bit wiser and more experienced every year.
So far i have experiences...the wisdom, not so much.

" Get 'em boy !"
954840.jpg

"Good boy !"
1622502_342914455919247_5587336041558224444_o1.jpg
Yep. It was hell keeping that thing in the holster.

We all started somewhere. Some had mentors who helped them pick a gun, was given a gun, taught em, helped em. Others before the internet heard about bp guns, maybe from the hunting regs, had no mentors, no guidance but found a gun in a store. Bought it, built it, shot it, loved it, kept it for the memories. We have all matured, learned and even some have bigger budgets. Some got rid of their first muzzleloaders, others have kept them for many reasons. I have mine and because I built it, someone after me will have to get rid of it. It is not pretty, i know I cannot build a rifle but I did this one.
I think I started Ack Basswards. I leaned the formula for BP, built a bomb, then built a dam across the creek, The bomb destroyed the dam more efficiently than my father trying to destroy a horsewhip on my buttocks.
I got into BP guns 'cos it hurt less. Then addiction took the wheel.

2. There are people trying to develop or maintain businesses selling products or services; American capitalism at work. Squashing, denigrating, slandering, etc, the competition is a long-proven way to increase your sales. It's economics 101. I.e. Traditions are garbage - buy my services or the muzzleloader I market because it's waaaay better.
I don't think I saw anyone directly trashing traditions guns. If you want one go get it, good for you. I personally don't want one and everybody went insane over it. Heck, I don't even own a muzzleloader and I still don't want one. I don't feel like I'm superior, I just want something other than a production gun, and since I can build whatever I want it makes more sense for me to do so.
This imagined class envy thing really needs to stop.

The truck I'm driving daily now is a '89 ford with 178,000 miles on it and is only hitting on 5 out of 6 cylinders. Should I get all butthurt and go nuts at everyone that has a fancy 2023? Some of you folks drive me to drink....as if I needed a reason. 😝

Did I just read that correctly?!?
For realz :thumb: When you do this sort of thing for a living if somebody offers you a lot of money you take it so you can pay your bills. Haven't owned one in years. I did manage to keep a couple guns for short periods of time, usually less than a year since 1996.
I managed to keep my skeet guns until 2005 or so.

For realz :thumb: When you do this sort of thing for a living if somebody offers you a lot of money you take it so you can pay your bills. Haven't owned one in years. I did manage to keep a couple guns for short periods of time, usually less than a year since 1996.
I managed to keep my skeet guns until 2005 or so.
I sold one gun one time to pay bills. I regret it to this day. The bill will come due again next month and you won't have the money or the gun. Better off keeping the gun at least you'll have something to do

I have several Traditions guns. I have the deer hunter Flintlock. And the Kentucky pistol which is my most recent purchase. The Kentucky pistol is pretty much perfect no problems. I did a lot of work to the lock on the deer hunter and it is Flawless now. Part of the fun is tinkering that's why people buy gun kits. Modifications to the lock include thinning down the frizzen spring, enlarging the pan. And lapping the trigger. I have two frizzens I Harden them with cherry red and I always have a hardened spare.

I sold one gun one time to pay bills. I regret it to this day. The bill will come due again next month and you won't have the money or the gun. Better off keeping the gun at least you'll have something to do.
If he were so inclined, I’m pretty sure he could start-to-finish one in just a couple of days with sawdust and iron ore. 😎 His history is very storied.

So you're going to beat me up now because you disagree with me?
I think the main problem is the written word loses a lot in reading it instead of hearing it.
I think it best if folks just don't say anything when viewing an ugly gun than piling on with pages of "nice gun" comments

Nice wood!
I always like that comment…🤣🤣🤣

I for one would love to hear your critical analysis there Mr Smarty Pants
@SDSmlf said:
Not sure what you are looking for? Critical analysis or comments from Fan Boys?

Hold it now, Sparky. He asked a very valid and non judgmental question. He wasn't running anything down. As the famous FAKE Marine Colonel said, in a movie, some people "can't handle the truth".

Before he launched into a honest analysis, he wanted to know where he stood. If all was wanted was fanboy comments he was going to pass. If a critical analysis was desired, given SDSmlf experience, technical background and understanding of ML guns, he could have given some great information concerning function, design, and durability.

Why are you so quick to get "gluteus maximus" hurt?

@SDSmlf said:
Not sure what you are looking for? Critical analysis or comments from Fan Boys?

Hold it now, Sparky. He asked a very valid and non judgmental question. He wasn't running anything down. As the famous FAKE Marine Colonel said, in a movie, some people "can't handle the truth".

Before he launched into a honest analysis, he wanted to know where he stood. If all was wanted was fanboy comments he was going to pass. If a critical analysis was desired, given SDSmlf experience, technical background and understanding of ML guns, he could have given some great information concerning function, design, and durability.

Why are you so quick to get "gluteus maximus" hurt?
Well first off I just like to poke the bear. But I would be interested in hearing any problems with purchasing a tradition gun.

I sold one gun one time to pay bills. I regret it to this day. The bill will come due again next month and you won't have the money or the gun. Better off keeping the gun at least you'll have something to do
I have built these things for a living fulltime for 25 years. Everything I built I had to sell to pay bills. There are some I'd like to have kept!

Back