• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you read my post? It’s 16 pages back. Basically durability of some components on some Traditions guns, such as the cast brass trigger. It just doesn’t hold up if you shoot a lot, though both the predecessor CVA and Traditions have been noted for accurate barrels, more accurate out of the box than many of the Italian made barrels. Another quirk is that brass trigger can be very wobbly from side to side and loose against the sear bar. Had posted here years ago with an easy fix for both concerns, but there was concern from the crowd at the time that it was approaching real gunsmithing and some could potentially mess up the trigger on their guns, and in the interest of liability concerns the entire thread was deleted. Then, and even more so recently, some here who must have struggled with snap together Revell Plastic Models, not to mention the ones requiring glue, paint and adding decals, and any how to fix a trigger information is likely too risky to post.

Find it interesting that many offer less than positive comments on Pedersoli, TVM, Pietta, Uberti and others, but many of the same folks pop a forehead vein if something is said about a CVA or Traditions. Might be because many of us started with these guns? And they were and are fine guns at a price point. If your idea of critical analysis is a comment like ‘I love mine’ or ‘mine has killed 3 deer’ is what you are looking for, buy with confidence when you read that, just don’t complain or ask for help down the road (too negative). Some may want to know more.

Others say one shouldn’t comment negatively about other’s guns. I only made the general comments about guns I’ve had personal experience with. I still have a number of CVAs and Traditions in the safe, along with a number of spare components. And as I mentioned triggers in an earlier post and again in this one, here is a photograph I had on the ‘cloud’ of some of my triggers in the parts box, the triggers I was referring to, not the ones in the OP’s guns.
@SDSmlf

While I don't own a Jukar/Dikar/Ardesa/CVA/Traditions Kentucky that utilizes that brass trigger, I have fixed a fellow shooters Traditions (made by Ardesa) Kentucky. By simply taking steel shim stock, and if you can imagine, bending it CAREFULLY into a tiny 'trough' and epoxying it to the top of the trigger. I somewhat remember using .020" shim stock and I know I used JB Weld Original. The gun is still shooting just fine. This was 6 or 8 years ago. The sear arm/bar on the lock had wore the top of the trigger down in one spot. A bit of epoxy and some steel shim stock solved that.

You sir are a Forum Bully ! If you don't like the subject move along to one you would better enjoy. Don't pour poop water in someone 's sand box !
The OP acknowledged some people are not a fan. I thought SDSmlf had an interesting post. He seemed polite enough and he pointed out the failing of the rifle. I have a Traditions 1851 Navy revolver that felt awefull ( the story for buying it is another post ) but it is the most accurate black powder revolver I have. So I sent that off to Goons for his upgrade. I will never get anywhere near what I have into it so I will keep it forever.

So just saying, I enjoyed SDSmlf post. Maybe take your own advise and just skip over what you don't enjoy reading. I know I do. Or just block that member.

I don't get it? The 'fix' is simple. A replacement trigger from Traditions/Log Cabin Shop/Deer Creek is cheap. Fix or replace......why call names???
Don’t know. I have not called anyone names. But sure upset folks by pointing a few things out. Too much for them I guess, so they resort to snappy name calling.

A place close by has a Jukar .45 caliber Kentucky rifle at a good price that might be joining the herd if I don’t change my mind.
Here is the only Jukar I still have. This one has never been fired. Bought it new old stock several years ago (2015, I think) and just haven't made myself shoot it yet. Planning on changing that this year. Other than gun safe dings, due to my own carelessness, wipe her down and she still looks new. They were a bunch cheaper then as this one was only $107 shipped. I love her...

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_174629085.jpg
    IMG_20230731_174629085.jpg
    3.6 MB
Did you read my post? It’s 16 pages back. Basically durability of some components on some Traditions guns, such as the cast brass trigger. It just doesn’t hold up if you shoot a lot, though both the predecessor CVA and Traditions have been noted for accurate barrels, more accurate out of the box than many of the Italian made barrels. Another quirk is that brass trigger can be very wobbly from side to side and loose against the sear bar. Had posted here years ago with an easy fix for both concerns, but there was concern from the crowd at the time that it was approaching real gunsmithing and some could potentially mess up the trigger on their guns, and in the interest of liability concerns the entire thread was deleted. Then, and even more so recently, some here who must have struggled with snap together Revell Plastic Models, not to mention the ones requiring glue, paint and adding decals, and any how to fix a trigger information is likely too risky to post.

Find it interesting that many offer less than positive comments on Pedersoli, TVM, Pietta, Uberti and others, but many of the same folks pop a forehead vein if something is said about a CVA or Traditions. Might be because many of us started with these guns? And they were and are fine guns at a price point. If your idea of critical analysis is a comment like ‘I love mine’ or ‘mine has killed 3 deer’ is what you are looking for, buy with confidence when you read that, just don’t complain or ask for help down the road (too negative). Some may want to know more.

Others say one shouldn’t comment negatively about other’s guns. I only made the general comments about guns I’ve had personal experience with. I still have a number of CVAs and Traditions in the safe, along with a number of spare components. And as I mentioned triggers in an earlier post and again in this one, here is a photograph I had on the ‘cloud’ of some of my triggers in the parts box, the triggers I was referring to, not the ones in the OP’s guns.
I love 'em all. I think they all have their place so I will never resort to name calling over someone else's choice of rifle. I lean more toward the less expensive ones, mainly, because I like to tinker. And I'm hard on stuff. If I bought a $2500 rifle I'd be scared to take it to the woods, but if I buy a $75.00 used pawn shop special I find it quite enjoyable to bring it home and bring it back to life. Maybe customize it a little, then send it down the road if it doesn't make the cut. I do admire the higher end guns quite a bit. Works of art they are. But if we were to shoot together and you showed up with an old Dixie monkey gun painted pink with fuzzy dice hanging off the trigger guard, well sure I'd chuckle at first, but then I'd be glad to shoot with you. I'm quite amazed this thread has taken the turns it has and just keeps on rocking. Kind of interesting. By the way, I greatly enjoy your knowledge and contributions. And you are right about some of them having substandard parts. But for me that just means more tinkering :)

I have found that anything you put thousands of rounds through will need fixing ocasionally regardless of the price point. this was super evident when shooting IPSC with a $2,500 custom built springfield armory 1911 I shot so many rounds that the baffles in my compensator disintegrated. the pin that was the hinge on my adjustable Wichita rear sight would break every 10k rounds. various other parts were replaced. My traditions Trapper has been a great shooter. only complaints is it's really heavy and some of the screws have stripped out and needed replacement but I also shoot it almost every day for a year and a half.
IMG_6800.jpg

I love 'em all. I think they all have their place so I will never resort to name calling over someone else's choice of rifle. I lean more toward the less expensive ones, mainly, because I like to tinker. And I'm hard on stuff. If I bought a $2500 rifle I'd be scared to take it to the woods, but if I buy a $75.00 used pawn shop special I find it quite enjoyable to bring it home and bring it back to life. Maybe customize it a little, then send it down the road if it doesn't make the cut. I do admire the higher end guns quite a bit. Works of art they are. But if we were to shoot together and you showed up with an old Dixie monkey gun painted pink with fuzzy dice hanging off the trigger guard, well sure I'd chuckle at first, but then I'd be glad to shoot with you. I'm quite amazed this thread has taken the turns it has and just keeps on rocking. Kind of interesting. By the way, I greatly enjoy your knowledge and contributions. And you are right about some of them having substandard parts. But for me that just means more tinkering :)
Pink and fuzzy dice,now you're talking.

My Current guns.
1: CVA Squirrel gun 32 cal. About $70 in 1982, baught for my dad for Christmas.
2: 50 Cal renagade $275 last year.
3: Kibler SMR $1300. I built the kit this year
4: poopoo pietta revolver $400
5: jukar 45 cal. $55 estate sale last week.
6: traditions. 45 cal flint kit. building now.$450
7: 10 ring precision flint pistol .45 cal. $275
8: flint competition pistol with false muzzle. $256
9: Ruger Old Army. Buying from Nit Wit.
Every one is a blast to shoot!!!
The kibler is what every gun will be judged by.
In the near future I will be getting the following.
TVM fowler kit.
Pedersoli Remington clone
Military issued flintlock clone.

My Current guns.
1: CVA Squirrel gun 32 cal. About $70 in 1982, baught for my dad for Christmas.
2: 50 Cal renagade $275 last year.
3: Kibler SMR $1300. I built the kit this year
4: poopoo pietta revolver $400
5: jukar 45 cal. $55 estate sale last week.
6: traditions. 45 cal flint kit. building now.$450
7: 10 ring precision flint pistol .45 cal. $275
8: flint competition pistol with false muzzle. $256
9: Ruger Old Army. Buying from Nit Wit.
Every one is a blast to shoot!!!
The kibler is what every gun will be judged by.
In the near future I will be getting the following.
TVM fowler kit.
Pedersoli Remington clone
Military issued flintlock clone.
My current muzzleloading long guns
Zero! and they/it cost me nothing! 😝

Back