• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRAPLINE PISTOL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
With everyone having such fun with the Home Defence C&B gun question, I was wondering what black powder pistol would you like to carry on your historic or modern trapline?
The choice is not limited to the pistols which were historically used during the Rocky Mountain Trapping era. It includes all single shot muzzleloading pistols and all Cap & Ball pistols.

I think my choice would be the 1862 Colt .36 caliber Police Revolver. :)

I cant think of what it's called but I saw this little tiny cap & ball pistol for sale on the cabala's web site that comes concealed in a book. It's a small caliber that wouldn't destroy the pelts and it's trigger folds up so it would be light and out of the way until I needed it .I imagine that steel traps are heavy when you Carey a few and a six gun on my pants would just make it more of a pain.

I carried a .36 colt 1851 in a shoulder holster for about five years on the trapline, seldom used it so quit packing it around. 90% of my sets were water sets so I really had little use of a gun, but it did give the PETA folks and the like cause to temper their attitudes down a bit when our paths crossed up high.

I carried a 31 cal. Colt Baby Dragoon (Uberti I believe) in a belt holster the last few years I got to trap and it was perfect for me for that use, even on the water line. I haven't got to trap for years but this year the bracelets are coming out of retirement for a little land trapping on our place. Might have to bring the Baby Dragoon out of retirement also. Good question Zonie, thanks for asking it!

Vic

I think a .32 Traditions Crockett Pistol would suit me pretty well. Big enuff to get the job done, small enuff to not do a whole lot of damage. No revolver to take apart and clean.

Aside from dispatching critters in traps and the occasional feisty critter, I'm more concerned about the two legged critters I may encounter. On the other hand, anyone with ill intent that sees you carrying a pistol or revolver may see your sidearm and say something to the effect of "that guy has a .36 cal Uberti on his hip. Maybe I should rethink my life choices."

Back