• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I had to order the citric acid powder from a pharmacy. It's not prescriptive so I dunno?? Probably can get init off Amazon.

I think they killed and took the amount of meat they could eat till it spoiled andeft the rest.
My past family also canned, jerked, and cooked meat then layered it in big crocks with melted pig lard between each layer. No electric, just in a cellar faceing the creek and shade. These were 4 or 5 year old beef , not the little young pups we call beef now. It was after first frost.

Yeah, we tend to have a number of scenarios of life back in the day. My own is of the trappers in the rocky mountain era. Many of the journals mention the killing of a Buffalo by a relatively small group of trappers who fed on it but obviously were not going to catch many beaver by butchering the rest beyond what might both travel and serve them for a few days.

Well on top of being extremely excited for opening day Saturday, I just got a text from my friend who bailed me out and is finishing my flintlock I started. It’s done!!! Going up Sunday after church to pick it up. Pictures to follow boys!!
That’s awesome, Jim. I’m very happy for you. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your new squirrel tool, pics of the targets after you get it lined out, and pics of the dead squirrels you bring home with it.

Exactly. Back in the nineties I used to get mine processed. I might shoot a big body deer and get much less meat than I expected. Then the next one might be a tiny spike that miraculously produces a big box of meat. Never questioned it. Then, with the last one I took in, there was no loin in my box. So I talked to the order taker there and he told me to just stop by and they would give some loin. Next time I talked to him he told me they don't keep anybody's meat separate and they had plenty of loin in the cooler. Turns out all the meat is pretty much mixed into the cooler or freezer and boxes are packed for customers basically by the size of deer they killed. Got pretty good with a knife and never went back. I like self sufficiency anyway...
This is just one of the reasons why I do not take any meat to a processor. I go the extra mile to ascertain I do a good job of field dressing the game, getting it cooled down properly, get as much blood and innards out as possible, and keep it clean. Just thinking about how some guys may or may not have cut or broken the full bladder and let it go all over the meat, plus the ones that allow dung to remain inside while driving around town for a day or two showing off their deer in the back of their truck (in direct sunlight) is enough to change my mind. To be clear, I’m not putting anyone particular down. It’s just the fact that some people just don’t know how to properly field dress a critter, or actually care.

Then we have fact that folks get back whatever amount of meat the processor decides to give them. My son went through this last year. After waiting for two weeks for a phone call from the processor, then finally driving down there, the processor first denied he even had my son’s deer. Then after some words were exchanged, the processor said “oh wait a minute, I think I might know where your deer’s is” walked back inside, then came out with a small box of meat. What are the chances that was even my sons deer?

Then we have the cost factor. I do not know the exact amount nowadays but I’m thinking it’s close to $100.00. There’s not that much meat on most deer to justify the cost. For the amount it would cost me to take in the 4 deer Im allowed to kill each year to a processor, it’s enough to pay for, or nearly so, the commercial meat grinder and food processor we have been using for several years now.

However, I digress.

Last edited:
This is no offense to anyone whatsoever. So please do not take it as such. Everyone can do as they wish with their wild game.

I do believe that some folks put more into some things related to game meat that need be and/or what is necessary. I give you an example. I had a brother (sibling) that told me I was making a big mistake by not cutting out the windpipe on a fresh killed deer. He contended that it should be done almost immediately after field dressing. Reason why? He stated that some Native American friend of his told him that if this was not done, it will result in bad tasting meat. Righhhht.

Another one that some people adhere to is they won’t hunt early bow deer season due to the heat and concern that the meat will spoil too fast or before they can get it butchered or in a fridge. This also goes for early squirrel season. This is another fallacy. As long as some common sense, precautionary measures are taken, it’s not going to hurt the meat. Sure you want to cool the meat down as much as practicable for the conditions, but in terms of deer, as long as the guts are removed, saw that hip area between the legs open, prop open the rib cage (a stick will do) then keep the legs spread open and apart, keep the deer out of direct sunlight, the meat will be fine until you can get it to a facility to skin it and quartered up then in a cooler.

I’ve never once lost any meat nor had bad tasting meat by doing so. Now keep in mind that I live in KY where the mercury and humidity can be way up there the beginning of September. Just do a good job of field dressing and use some common sense.

There is more but you get the point.

Now, with that said, the way I see it with the glands thing is, it’s not a factor. Never once in my entire life, and I’ve been hunting for over 50 years, have I noticed any bad taste and I’ve never heard of such a thing until now. Perhaps I don’t know any better because I’ve never eaten squirrel or rabbit that had those glands removed? Perhaps there actually is a difference in taste?

However, I will do this. As a test, I just happen to have several prime test subjects in my fridge at this very moment. Also, considering my plans are to go out on another hunt today, if I’m lucky enough to get another squirrel or two, I’ll certainly have more to do a comparison test. One pan will have squirrels with those glands removed, the other will be like I’ve always done, glands in. I will cook them up identical, same times, same ingredients. May not be today but it will get done.

I may or may not be eating some humble pie on this. If I do, being an honest person, I’ll darn sure post it either way.

Sound fair?
The wind pipe (ALWAYS) gets removed if not and you hang the deer for any length of time you can get his/hers last meal that will taint neck meat and you will know it shortly afterwards ! /Ed

The wind pipe (ALWAYS) gets removed if not and you hang the deer for any length of time you can get his/hers last meal that will taint neck meat and you will know it shortly afterwards ! /Ed
I’ll have to take your word on it because as a general rule, I do not leave meat hanging. At most and if I’m worn out late at night when I get back home it might hang no longer than one night IF it’s not too warm out. For this part of the country, it usually too warm out to hang meat anyway.

Neck roast is my wife’s best cooked deer meat. It’s flat out awesome.

Years ago I did a few tests on hanging/aging deer meat for days as opposed to skinning them, quartering then putting them into a fridge right away. The average amount of time the meat remains in the fridge before being cut up and frozen for us is about 4-6 days. I found no appreciable difference in taste.

The few deer that did hang had the windpipes still in the neck. Now that’s been years ago but I do not recall one bad tasting chunk of neck meat.

Sometimes I think some of this is like discussing different patch lubes.

Last edited:
Ok guys. I plan on heading out first thing in the morning to chase them tree huggers for the first time this season! It's still supposed to be in the mid to upper eighties, but I have waited long enough.
Atta boy. I hope you go out there and enjoy yourself, as well as bring home some squirrels. Please post up regardless of how it turns out.

Good luck!

Tomorrow morning is squirrel season opener. I've been ready for a while been shooting every weekend , my little .32 is very accurate. Preseason scouting was not to impressive, the grass is taller than I've seen in years, waist high minimum. But I've seen a few bushy tails , none the less I'll be in the woods come sun up tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning is squirrel season opener. I've been ready for a while been shooting every weekend , my little .32 is very accurate. Preseason scouting was not to impressive, the grass is taller than I've seen in years, waist high minimum. But I've seen a few bushy tails , none the less I'll be in the woods come sun up tomorrow.
Duk, indeed, the vegetation growth this year is amazing. Very thick in most places. I am a bit surprised that the grass is that tall in ND, however.

Have you been practicing shooting from off the side of a tree as a steady rest or do you sit and hunt?

Either way, best of luck to you. Please post up on your hunt regardless of how it turned out. We all benefit from reading posts of hunts.

Last edited:
Duk, indeed, the vegetation growth this year is amazing. Very thick in most places. I am a bit surprised that the grass is that tall in ND, however.

Have you been practicing shooting from off the side of a tree as a steady rest or do you sit and hunt?

Either way, best of luck to you. Please post up on your hunt regardless of how it turned out. We all benefit from reading posts of hunts.
We have had a lot of early spring and summer rain this year in my part of the state, everything really grew this year. I do most of my practice shooting off the side of a tall post, and off hand. I'm going to start off tomorrow morning with a couple hour sit, if I'm not seeing much I'll move and go to spot and stalk. I'll let you all know how the day goes.

We have had a lot of early spring and summer rain this year in my part of the state, everything really grew this year. I do most of my practice shooting off the side of a tall post, and off hand. I'm going to start off tomorrow morning with a couple hour sit, if I'm not seeing much I'll move and go to spot and stalk. I'll let you all know how the day goes.
Perfect.

I’ll have to take your word on it because as a general rule, I do not leave meat hanging. At most and if I’m worn out late at night when I get back home it might hang no longer than one night IF it’s not too warm out. For this part of the country, it usually too warm out to hang meat anyway.

Neck roast is my wife’s best cooked deer meat. It’s flat out awesome.

Years ago I did a few tests on hanging/aging deer meat for days as opposed to skinning them, quartering then putting them into a fridge right away. The average amount of time the meat remains in the fridge before being cut up and frozen for us is about 4-6 days. I found no appreciable difference in taste.

The few deer that did hang had the windpipes still in the neck. Now that’s been years ago but I do not recall one bad tasting chunk of neck meat.

Sometimes I think some of this is like discussing different patch lubes.
When I was still in high school back a few years!! I and my dad, an uncle and a friend went on a deer hunt. Between the four of us we killed five deer. They were field dressed and transported to a walk in cooler of my uncles. The were hung in there for a week skin on then taken to a commercial processor. Absolutely the worst meat of any kind I've ever eaten.

High quality beef cuts come from cows that have been hung to age for quite a long time but the handling is about the opposite with the skin pulled off immediately, etc. The animal goes from standing to hanging completely processed except of course for market in just a few minutes.

The closest most of us can come is probably as @ETipp describes as handling quickly and getting the meat into a refrigerator.

This is how I know some of the nut crop trees are either getting somewhat bare or not producing nuts the squirrels like.

I just got back from a quick trip near town. On the way there I saw 3 dead squirrels in the road. On the way back was 4. I also saw one eating something off of the pavement. Pretty sure it was the one that was dead on my return trip.

This was not that way a week or so ago. The squirrels were staying up in the tops of trees. IMO, soon we will be seeing more and more squirrels on the ground, which does not upset me in the least. Due to the extra thick canopy this year it’s been a fairly difficult hunting season so far. So, I’m going to be glad when the squirrels are being seen on the ground more. However, I hate to see the little fellas killed in the roads. Cheap death IMO.

When I was still in high school back a few years!! I and my dad, an uncle and a friend went on a deer hunt. Between the four of us we killed five deer. They were field dressed and transported to a walk in cooler of my uncles. The were hung in there for a week skin on then taken to a commercial processor. Absolutely the worst meat of any kind I've ever eaten.

High quality beef cuts come from cows that have been hung to age for quite a long time but the handling is about the opposite with the skin pulled off immediately, etc. The animal goes from standing to hanging completely processed except of course for market in just a few minutes.

The closest most of us can come is probably as @ETipp describes as handling quickly and getting the meat into a refrigerator.
I concur, Mike. Gotta get it completely gutted properly, hide off and cooled down ASAP for best tasting meat. It can age in a cooler or fridge if that’s what one prefers.

Sometimes ASAP may be several hours but the quicker the better. In the meantime, split the pelvis and the chest open to where air can circulate and so it can get cooled down faster. It’s amazing how long heat can remain in the hind quarters if they are allowed to lie against each other. Gotta saw that pelvis into and spread each rear leg completely over to each side. The heat will dissipate fairly fast that way.

Only a couple of years in the last 20 that I have not gotten my allotted 4 deer. This method has been working well for me despite the fact that this is a fairly warm climate, especially during early bow season. IMO, taking the extra precautions pays off well.

Last edited:

And that hide comes off a whole lot easier if it hasn't cooled too much.

Back