• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traveling With Your Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just read the "Taurus trunk" thread and it put me in mind of a somewhat related question: Are there any rifle cases out there (eg, Boyd, etc)llllloooonnnngggg enough to put a flintlock longrifle in? I mean, besides the custom embroidered buckskin things with 2 foot whangs hanging down at the end. I've always put my guns (handguns, centerfire rifles, shotguns etc) in cases when going to the range or hunting. I just like to have them protected/hidden when in the car. I've been packing my Lancaster "naked" in the backseat with a blanket or towel thrown over it. The gun deserves much better!

A couple of years ago I picked up two Ace Cases for my long rifles. One is 60 inches and the other is 66 inches. So far they have worked for anything I have. Check their website at "acecase.com". I just looked and the 66 inche one is a little over $30.

I am an avid wood worker and my brother was a full time trader. He asked me once to build him several wood rifle cases that would acomidate several different sizes of bp rifles including most trade guns. When I got to the longest of the cases. We measured a Wilson Chief's Grade trade gun and made it to just fit that gun. When all was said and done. The shorter cases sold like hot cakes. The long one did too, in fact the same case he sold 4 times and it kept coming back because it was too long to fit in the cab of a pick up. :eek:

If you want one of these cases, send me a PM and we will talk about price and sizes.

I still have an old Bear Tamerlane target recurve bow from the late 50's or early 60's and the soft case fits a long rifle just perfect for a ride to the range.

I carry my long rifles in the Blanket cases sold by October Country. These have a blanket material outside and a canvas like inside. They work real well for range trips or hunting. I packed my Haines from Georgia to Oklahoma in one last November.
For a hard, airline capable case, look in Cabela's. A year or so ago they were carrying a single long hard case for long rifles.

It would be quite east to make one out of plywood and a Piano hinge if you wanted a hard case.A soft case could be easily made out of canvas without much thought. :imo:

The guys are right. With basic tools and wood working skills you can build a neat wooden case for your guns that will take alot of punishment. I built a number that will hold 6 guns and all of my other shooting gear. I can lock my stuff in it, slide it in the truck bed and then lock it to the truck itself. Demon

I currently have 3 zippersided padded cases..a short one for the Lyman deerhunter, and the other two handle my CVA Mtn rifle and my GPR...these things were cheap..something like "2 for $19.95" from one of the catalogs..Cheaper than Dirt, or Sportsmans Guide. For my DGW Tenn Poor boy I made a case out of an old blanket...has worked well for years, and wasn't a complex sewing job...I folded the edges over a couple of times to form a welt and used my leather worker's sewing awl..Hank

i215479hz01.jpg

I like these from Cabela's. They come in (2) sizes.. 52 and 60 inch. They are well padded, have a long pocket (opposite side shown) for your range rod, and a smaller pocket for whatever. The price is also nice: $28 and $31.

SP

Link to the cases... double click here.

I have got an option for ya!!

Their is a gentleman locally who deals in all kinds of hard cases in a variety of sizes. I purchased a case that fits both of my 59" flinters as well as any and all field rods. The case is aluminum, lockable and has two wheels on one end. very reasonablly priced.
For info you can email at "[email protected]" or web site is "www.caseking.com".

One side note, a buddy of mine purchased one at the same time but desided later it was not what he wanted. He has been trying to sell it. If interested PM me and I will see him this coming weekend Sept 17-18
:m2c:

Back