• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Sight Picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One year ago, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. My long distance vision is great and I use 2.5 readers for book reading. When I try to get a good sight picture with my long guns, things don’t work out so well. I see the distant target well but my front and rear sights are double or triple vision. I tried using 1.5 power readers so I can see my sights but then the target goes triple and fuzzy. How are you elder shooter’s dealing with this problem?

One year ago, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. My long distance vision is great and I use 2.5 readers for book reading. When I try to get a good sight picture with my long guns, things don’t work out so well. I see the distant target well but my front and rear sights are double or triple vision. I tried using 1.5 power readers so I can see my sights but then the target goes triple and fuzzy. How are you elder shooter’s dealing with this problem?
Try peep sights they work for me .

Your optometrist can prescribe corrective lenses somewhere in between reading and distance (which you don't need) that I think will help you see your sights better, as it's the sights that need to be in focus, not the target.

I agree with the above advice to try a peep sight because when the front sight is in focus the rear peep only needs to be a blur to get that front sight properly centered within its circumference.

Before going to your eye doctor, measure the distance from your eye to the front sight. I tell my doc what I need, and he gave me a prescription to bring the sight into sharp focus.
That's exactly what I did and got a "shooting glasses" prescription. Now I've got multiple prescriptions for 1) distance, 2) shooting, 3) computer, 4) reading. Frankly I wish they're hurry up and invent bionic eyeball replacements.

Years back I had my optometrist give me several proscriptions one for pistol shooting and one for rifle and shotgun shooting. They work and I do ok - not great but ok. The only problem with this is the cost. You need deep pockets for the different color lenses for the shotgun glasses and that cost adds up very quickly.:rolleyes:

Years back I had my optometrist give me several proscriptions one for pistol shooting and one for rifle and shotgun shooting. They work and I do ok - not great but ok. The only problem with this is the cost. You need deep pockets for the different color lenses for the shotgun glasses and that cost adds up very quickly.:rolleyes:
Try Zenni Optical. Delivery isn't real fast, but cheaper than most places.

I have peep sights on several of my unmentionables and the last time I used them they worked fine. The past year I have only been shooting my bp firearms and I never thought of putting a peep sight on one of those. There is a forum member selling peep sights that work on ml firearms, I might have to give him a pm. Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions.

I was able to get peeps for all of my ML's and it helped a lot. Because i use several for hunting I found the front sight fuzzing out or merging into the target. I then added a small diameter day glow rod by filing the front sight and epoxying the rod to it.
Keep in mind that the brighter the light will have more depth of focus. In early AM or dusk it can be a bigger problem.

when i hade mine done the left eye was for distance ,then had the right eye done too see sights. took awhile to adjust to it but now its fine. before i had it done i didnt need readers [ at 66] but now i do. i can deal with the tradeoff. :thumb:

I too had cataract surgery in January. I have Macular Degeneration and was not warned that this could increase the problem. My rear sights don't show at all.
I have a 74 Shilo Sharps with long range, adjustable aperture and this I can use.

I am concerned about putting a peep on my ML do to decreasing the value, I'm not a young chicken anymore, some time they will have to go as I have no one in the family to give them to.

I too had cataract surgery in January. I have Macular Degeneration and was not warned that this could increase the problem. My rear sights don't show at all.
I have a 74 Shilo Sharps with long range, adjustable aperture and this I can use.

I am concerned about putting a peep on my ML do to decreasing the value, I'm not a young chicken anymore, some time they will have to go as I have no one in the family to give them to.
Almost all of the peeps I have seen simply screw in using the factory screw holes. I even have one on my custom Lancaster flint. Even if there was a very slight devaluation due to having to drill a new hole, it would be totally outweighed by the benefit of being able to sight and shoot better. In addition prices keep going up so any decrease would likely be surpassed in the long run. My position is that I enjoy 'em now and let someone else deal with it's value when i'm gone.

The human eye cannot focus at two different objects at the same time! It's striking a happy medium.....meaning that the target does not have to be in full focus....only the front sight! Go see your eye doc; if you don't have one....go find one! An aperture rear sight will help but won't fully solve the problem. Chicken one day.......feathers the next! Either way....if you see the target clearly.....you aren't using your vision in the right manner!!

Back