• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the rod down on solid ground and use the rifes mass and drive the rifle down on the rod.

Works for me.

i don't swab between shots. A few times while shooting Pyrodex i've gotten a ball stuck. In goes the stout ramrod with the end on the 4X4 upright. The gun is used like a slide hammer to seat the ball.

just going to get this out of the way!
popcorn impala.gif

For future reference a stuck ball can be dealt with by dribbling some water down the bore and letting it soak for awhile. This usually ends up softening the fouling enough so the ball can be fully seated and fired. It would probably allow you to seat your stuck ball and all the accumulated gear along with it so it can be fired out if you're willing to go that route.

Went out for a shot tonight and got a ball stuck. When I got back I screwed in a ball puller gave it a yank and broke the damned thing. I then realised that I’d used my patch puller instead of the ball puller while i was distracted talking to my wife. I screwed in my ball puller after that and the ball was stuck enough that it then ripped out the end of my range rod. I now have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

EDIT: just so people can follow, I have 120gr 2F in the barrel, the ball got stuck 6" from the muzzle, it now has a patch worm, ball puller and the end of my range rod stuck in it. What you can see in the poor photo is the end of my range rod.
You will get lots of ways to correct an OH SHI_! If it were my gun and considering all the options to tear up the rifling, I would take the breach plug out and push it
Went out for a shot tonight and got a ball stuck. When I got back I screwed in a ball puller gave it a yank and broke the damned thing. I then realised that I’d used my patch puller instead of the ball puller while i was distracted talking to my wife. I screwed in my ball puller after that and the ball was stuck enough that it then ripped out the end of my range rod. I now have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

EDIT: just so people can follow, I have 120gr 2F in the barrel, the ball got stuck 6" from the muzzle, it now has a patch worm, ball puller and the end of my range rod stuck in it. What you can see in the poor photo is the end of my range rod.
My vote is air compressor, grease gun, or CO2 bullet pusher! I personally would not try to shoot that mess out with such a heavy powder charge.
Larry

No one has yet to suggest this method but it just might work. Remove the nipple (liner in a flintlock) and hold the rifle upside down. Start slapping the rifle breech to get as much of the powder out as possible. Measure the amount that does come out so you'll know how much, if any, powder is left in the breech. When it gets down to no more than about 10-15 grains left in the rifle re-install the nipple and fire. point the gun at something that won't damage the rod pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back