• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trouble with 1805 harpers ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linus9

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a pedersoli 1805 harpers ferry flintlock pistol. I have had trouble with getting it to throw enough sparks to ignite the pan since I bought it, and its just done nothing but get worse. is there anything I can do to fix it? can I harden the frizzen, or send it somewhere to be hardened? or are there replacements available for this model?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, mike.

If you do a search you will find more than one thread on this pistol. Even if you tune the lock, ensure the frizen is hard enough and find flints that fit well you may still have issues. The big thing is the lock geometry is bad and the worst offender is the hammer itself.

When did you get your 1805? There seem to be 2 locks for the pistol, with the older one being the poor one. From the photos that I have seen, the newer lock has a fly and the older one doesn't. DGW lists parts for the newer one.

I bought it used on gun broker about 8 years ago. ive been looking online for info on hardening the frizzen with cherry red hardening compound, it doesn't look too difficult. has anyone ever done this?

I recall a number of posts regarding that specific subject. Also riveting on a thin strip of good steel or using Casenite.

I have hardened a few frizzens with Kasenite. Follow the instructions. A MAP or Propane torch will not get the metal hot enough. You will need an acetylene torch.

A gunsmith friend of mine recommends letting the mixture "soak" the metal. So he heats the frizzen to straw color, and then keeps adding the hardening material for about 15 minutes. Then drop it into a bucket of water. It will need to be annealed slightly after it cools. Bake for an hour at 400 degrees.

Hope that gets the gun working for you.

Mine just hangs on the wall, bad lock geometry, nice looking gun though. I bought mine mostly because I have an original HF rifle that was converted to the new and improved percussion lock.

Back