• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRU-OIL problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought a few bad bottles of Tru-oil over the years, the finish stayed tacky. I use a lot of the stuff on bows and guns, the finish from my last bottle would dry in an hour, the weather was warm.
I was thinking maybe he had a bad bottle. I just finished a rifle yesterday with Tru-oil.
I was hanging it in the sun and putting on a thin coat every 3 hours.
turned out nice

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    3.2 MB
I have read about the armor all trick before but never saw a video of someone doing it I’ve never done it myself but surely would be something to experiment with if you are so inclined…Maybe someday I’ll give it a try.

I would probably rather experiment on handgun grips vs a rifle stock. If anyone here tries it, let us know how it worked for you. Or if you have already tried it.

Oops, I see that Greg Y has done it with good results. I didn’t see that at first just watched the video.

Ha! ladies panty hose, where do you get that now days? When I was in the Corps back in the earl 60's.I finished my M 14 with Truoil, all hand rubbed, it looked B Ut E Full. The Sgt Major in the Sixth Marines didn't think it was so nice. I had to remove it along with many hours of extra duty. Have not used since

Ha! ladies panty hose, where do you get that now days? When I was in the Corps back in the earl 60's.I finished my M 14 with Truoil, all hand rubbed, it looked B Ut E Full. The Sgt Major in the Sixth Marines didn't think it was so nice. I had to remove it along with many hours of extra duty. Have not used since
That’s a good story. Was not like everyone else’s, too shiny would reflect light in combat or no reason, just because he said so?

We use so much stock finish, that we make our own. Like Tru-Oil..BLO and Japan drier from the paint store.
About 10% drier..Thin coats, maybe 2 a day. for a week. When grain is full, rub back with Rotten Stone to the gloss you like.
If the oil is not working for you, wipe it off with acetone. Start over...Sorry, it may take off some of the stain as well..
My stockmaker has more patience than I, and takes the time..
Being lazy, after raising the grain a few times and sanding the whiskers, I stain, fill the grain with thinned Bullseye shellac, light sanding, and then oil finish..

I do it differently although finger application is also used. I find thin coats will give me rub throughs when dulling it out. I use a touch up spray gun, small thing, thin the tru oil and spay a thin coat, let dry until tacky and spray again and again letting it get tacky between, 5 or 6 coats. This lets each coat blend with the coat I applied before so there is one thick coat when done. Set aside for a week or two until the finish can not be smelled. Then it can be rubbed out without rub throughs.

I do it differently although finger application is also used. I find thin coats will give me rub throughs when dulling it out. I use a touch up spray gun, small thing, thin the tru oil and spay a thin coat, let dry until tacky and spray again and again letting it get tacky between, 5 or 6 coats. This lets each coat blend with the coat I applied before so there is one thick coat when done. Set aside for a week or two until the finish can not be smelled. Then it can be rubbed out without rub throughs.
Many years ago I made a stock for my model 12 field gun that I put a roll-over comb on. I then sprayed it with a diluted mixture of Tru-Oil and mineral spirts. I use a Binks #24 touch-up gun to spray the finish on. It came out GREAT.

Yes, I do that, too, thanks for bringing up mineral oil and Scotchbrite. I forgot.
BEWARE!! Mineral Oil and Mineral Spirits are totally different liquids. If you mix mineral oil in with it, I doubt it will ever dry. Mineral Spirits acts more like turpentine in that it cuts thicker compounds and dries quickly

Never leave the lid of a can or bottle of mineral spirits because it will evaporate. Leaving the lid off a bottle of mineral oil on the other hand offers no danger of evaporation. It's more likely to get knocked over and you'll need an absorbent material to clean it up - cat litter, baking soda, cornstarch etc. Once that's done you can probably get rid of the slick spot with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

I use a thin coat of mineral oil on my high-carbon knives to protect them from rust.

Back