• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumbling cast balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billnpatti

Cannon
Reaction score
I have been shooting muzzleloaders for years and have just cast and used my balls as they came from the mold. I had read about folks putting their cast balls in a wooden box and keeping it in the trunk of their car for several days to roll them round and smooth them out. I happened to remember a rock tumbler that had been in my basement for a few years and thought I'd give it a try in place of the wooden box treatment. I had about 500 cast .50 cal balls that I was willing to experiment with. I thoroughly washed out the tumbler and let it dry completely. I put the cast balls in it and turned it on. I let the balls tumble for several hours and then went back to see what had happened to them. I was amazed that they looked like shiny black ball bearings. The sprue marks were almost completely invisible. I could only see them very faintly in bright light. I think I'm on to something. Has anyone else done this? Hell, maybe a lot of people do this and I'm just reinventing the wheel. I don't know but I am excited that I found this on my own. If you haven't tried this and you have a rock tumbler, you might want to give it a try.

This has been discussed in depth here in the past. I tumble mine in a case tumbler minus the media. For my 50 yard shooting relation of the sprue is irrelevant so tumbling it away allows me to load without worry of sprue alignment.

HD

I put my balls in my vibratory case cleaner in media for a 1/2 hour and the come out minus my casting ridge. They dull up but it doesnt bother me.

boondocker said:
I put my balls in my vibratory case cleaner in media for a 1/2 hour and the come out minus my casting ridge. They dull up but it doesnt bother me.

I dump out the media. It will do a batch in about an hour, .662 with a fairly big sprue. I have a large size Dillon and don't know how many it would do. I do about 100 at a time.
I do it to allow loading the ball without examination for hunting. Seem to shoot the same?

Dan

Has anyone who tumbles their balls ever measured them before and after to see if it effects dimensions? I've always thought it probably reduces the diameter slightly, which could be a good thing in many cases. A thicker patch has always seemed to make my guns shoot better.

I do the same without the media and run them for about an hour. I load the bottom of the vibe box so that the balls can roll just a bit. If they are stacked into layers they get flat spots. :shocked2:

Mine come from a LEE mold and when they are done the sprue cannot be located.

I tumble everything I cast for about 1/2 hour in the media. It won't take the sprues off my .610s though, It is a very old Lyman mold and the sprue is very tall.

Well, I use jars. From jam, pickles, whatever.
Just fill it up 1/2 or maybe 2/3, close it and shake. Brings the result your looking for very quickly. :hatsoff:
Usually I store my roundballs also in them. :wink:

Glass-bottles will work too of course.

Plink said:
Has anyone who tumbles their balls ever measured them before and after to see if it effects dimensions? I've always thought it probably reduces the diameter slightly, which could be a good thing in many cases. A thicker patch has always seemed to make my guns shoot better.

Mine measure the same before and after.

HD

I have one of the Midway plastic case tumblers. I find 20-30 minutes (without media) smoothes out the sprue & seam lines....they come out looking just like the Speer/Hornady swaged balls.

Oatsayo All,
this is a great idea. Do you guys like the "rock Tumbler" type or the vibrating case cleaner type better? :bow:

After reading these, poured some RBs yesterday and then threw them into the tumbler. Came out gray, looking just like "store bought" and the few wrinkles and sprue were gone.

Billnpatti said:
I have been shooting muzzleloaders for years and have just cast and used my balls as they came from the mold. I had read about folks putting their cast balls in a wooden box and keeping it in the trunk of their car for several days to roll them round and smooth them out. I happened to remember a rock tumbler that had been in my basement for a few years and thought I'd give it a try in place of the wooden box treatment. I had about 500 cast .50 cal balls that I was willing to experiment with. I thoroughly washed out the tumbler and let it dry completely. I put the cast balls in it and turned it on. I let the balls tumble for several hours and then went back to see what had happened to them. I was amazed that they looked like shiny black ball bearings. The sprue marks were almost completely invisible. I could only see them very faintly in bright light. I think I'm on to something. Has anyone else done this? Hell, maybe a lot of people do this and I'm just reinventing the wheel. I don't know but I am excited that I found this on my own. If you haven't tried this and you have a rock tumbler, you might want to give it a try.

I use a two ball Rapin mold and the sprue is negligable.
I weigh my balls for uniformity in weight ie...
a 440 ball should weigh out of my Rapin Mold plus or minus 127 grns, I look for half a grn above or below 127 grns, if it's more or less (usally less do to air pockets) it goes back into the casting pot.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back