• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tung Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Formby's Satin Tung Oil Finish works like a champ. Completely dry in 24 hours. If you want a finish that takes forever to dry, why not just use linseed. It's really cheap.

What was used on L&C's flinters? ----- Whats wrong with waiting ---- & wiping--- for a few days for a PC quality finish. BOILED LINSEED IS THE BEST --- unless you like the modern shiney stuff. All of the OLD TIME quality finishes were hand rubbed WITH LINSEED --- and boy ----were they nice. I have a bunch--- but I am from the old school and I think mine are "PERTY". I remember my Grandfather (born 1800's) as a stock maker whittling with a pocket knife and a bastard file to form a "CUSTOM" and hand rubbing lindseed. Beautiful work. (sorry for the long wind)

Amen Sidelock. I use boiled linseed with a bit of spar varnish mixed in (about 4-5 to 1 oil to spar). Works like a champ for me.

"All of the OLD TIME quality finishes were hand rubbed WITH LINSEED"

Actually they weren't. L&C guns were probably varnished. Most military guns were during that period.

Linseed oil is probably the worst finish that can be put on a gun. It's soft and wears easily. It also is not water proof. The old guns were finished with varnish that dried hard.

"BOILED LINSEED IS THE BEST "

"Linseed oil is probably the worst"

Well, I guess that says it all... :rotf:

Old40Rod said:
"BOILED LINSEED IS THE BEST "

"Linseed oil is probably the worst"

Well, I guess that says it all... :rotf:
Yes, those two opinions pretty well cover the subject don't they! :haha:
In twenty five years of building guns and nearly 250 guns built in that time, I've found linseed oil to be less than satisfactory as a gunstock finish. I've found several other things that work far better. :v

The 2 things I do like about it, are the smell and the color it turns when it gets old. I'm going to put a few really thin coats on the walnut gun I just finished to finish filling the pores and to have the aroma.

Swampman said:
The 2 things I do like about it, are the smell and the color it turns when it gets old. I'm going to put a few really thin coats on the walnut gun I just finished to finish filling the pores and to have the aroma.

I agree with Swampman. I especially like the warm glow it imparts as it changes color with age. Sometimes, to try to enjoy the best of both worlds, I will rub in a number of coats of thinned boiled linseed oil and then top it with several coats of pure tung oil.

Back