• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey hunting - Head shots vs. Body shots ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
No question normal birdshot like a #6 is way too small & light...

for a body shot with a clean kill, yes. otherwise coyotes loove turkey. BTW ground turkey is 1.20$lb :rotf:

I see nothing wrong with a head shot and #6 shot at reasonable range. :v Larry Wv

NWTF Longhunter said:
I've killed a bunch of turkeys with everything from a bow to a modern shotgun to a muzzleloader. Body shots with shot destroy good meat plus too many times the bird gets away. A good load of #6 out of a 12ga to the head and neck area works every time... :thumbsup

Finnwolf said:
Damned fine advice from a guy who's hunted a turkey or 2 along the way. If a man eats what he hunts and respects what he hunts, he endeavors to kill it humanly, not so much to see what can be "done" with less than optimal shots on the body.
Finnwolf

On my first turkey I managed to clip the top of the breast with the bottom edge of a load of #5 shot and boy did it ruin a good bit of nice meat. That's the limit of my body shot experience and it is again much smaller shot than you're thinking of. I always like reading your range report posts and look forward to this set as I'm sure you'll follow through. My gut feel is that you'll probably decide not to purposely try a body shot on your next gobbler. However, I seem to remember you talking about possibly trying to hunt coyotes in another recent post. As with a lot of experimentation, in looking for one thing, you may just find another. If you find a good load, put up a "dog" target at about 40 yards and see how that looks. I know I'm looking forward to your next range report! :wink:

Magnum lead BB and #4Buck has worked for me every time on body shots and I have not lost a bird yet with that shot size.

As has been said by several above so far.......body shots will result in wounded birds most, if not all of the time. You will roll them, however - they will move away at varying speeds and distances. Once wounded, they will crawl/dive into any snag, tree top (on the ground), etc., and that's where you need to look for them. Be ready for a fast shot when flushing a wounded turkey.

Turkeys are practically "armor plated" and are tough. Using shot, you'll need to connect with the spinal chord ( or whatever it is in a turkey ) to kill them. I've witnessed enough body shots while in the field that you'll likely lose your bird and he'll die to a coyote or other predator that eventually finds him.

I suggest anyone hunting turkeys stick to neck shots.

TraderVic said:
As has been said by several above so far.......body shots will result in wounded birds most, if not all of the time. You will roll them, however - they will move away

Thanks...but the problem with your reply and the few you referenced with the phrase "said by several above" is that its evident the thread wasn't read completely, subsequently some replies miss the whole point of thread, such as yours.

So once again:
The thread is not about using typical "birdshot loads" for body shots on turkeys...and nobody disputes that typical birdshot loads are not the optimal choice when considering body shots on turkeys.
PS:
1) How many body shots have you personally tried on turkeys?
2) What birdshot loads did you use trying body shots on turkeys?
3) What were the distances?

The thread is about discussing proven alternatives to the typical birdshot loads...like the last post that was listed immediately above yours...it addresses the point of the thread.

:wink:

roundball said:
In getting started with turkey hunting a few years ago, the common themes of discussion were along the lines of head shots...I followed suit, lucked out and got a couple that way, life is good. But always being interested in experimenting with something new and different, I've been wondering about gearing up for body shots on turkeys this year, instead of head shots.

I've taken a lot of turkeys ( Easterns here in WI and Merrium's in the Black Hills ) and I don't recommend body shots as they can result in wounded birds more often than not. I suppose BB magnums are effective, but I cannot use anything bigger than 4's.

1) How many body shots have you personally tried on turkeys?
>I've had two over the years - by accident......pulled the shot.

2) What birdshot loads did you use trying body shots on turkeys?
> I typically use #5's, 3" 12 ga mags

3) What were the distances?
> one miss was at about 40 yds and one about 30+ yds.

In spite of the occasional comment about turkey wings being like a flak jacket...

> which they are.

which I could accept if using smaller lighter shot like #6...I know of people who take them using #4's for body shots...so it would seem that #2's or #3's would even do an even better job. And better still could be the larger actual "T" size turkey pellets...then augmenting that size/weight by using copper or nickel plating to slip through plummage even easier would provide another level of advantage.

So if proper size/weight/type shot is used to defeat any concerns about protection from the wings, I can't see why in the world body shots couldn't be as effective...personal preferences for head shots aside...any objective thoughts or comments on this alternative approach?

I reckon we'll just agree to disagree on taking body shots deliberately. I don't think it's ethical or humane.

We've killed turkeys with everything from 7 1/2 shot to #4 shot and of course .22 rifles when I was younger. More recently I killed a nice turkey with a load of #4 steel shot right in the back, dropped dead as a door nail. Now I use a .36cal flintlock and aim for the head but am not opposed to a body shot in a pinch, I've never hit a turkey and not killed it. I think the .22lr is the most effective turkey taker around and I'm sure that's why most states don't allow it's use anymore.Of course my .36 is a pretty mean turkey taker. With the shotgun body shots, my shots were usually within 25 yards some of them flying and a couple ( with #4) at 35 yards. if you nail them from behind the pellet doesn't have far to go and I'm telling you from a guy who grew up with a brother and 30 cousins who lived to hunt I've seen many turkeys fall to a sneaky kid and 7 1/2 shot to the back. I have always had great luck with #4 shot and have taken several birds with it, I do think 35 yards is pushing the envelope a bit.

roundball said:
In getting started with turkey hunting a few years ago, the common themes of discussion were along the lines of head shots...I followed suit, lucked out and got a couple that way, life is good. But always being interested in experimenting with something new and different, I've been wondering about gearing up for body shots on turkeys this year, instead of head shots.
From the good posts here as well as other forums, seems like a charge of the large/heavy pellets in the T to #4 buckshot range have done the job reliably for others, as well as PRBs themselves into the back or wing root, ie: .32/.36/.40/.45 cals.

It doesn't look like the new .62cal Virginia is going to be here in time, and as accurate as my .28ga smoothbore Flintlock is with PRBs at the 50 yards I zeroed it, I may just go with that.

Roundball,

Take a deep breath and forget about re-inventing the 'wheel'

Folks have been killing turkeys with MLs for 500 years and the common consensus for those thousands and thousands of hunters is "shoot them in the head'

For the first 250 years they were in survival mode and learned early in the game what the most dependable way of feeding themselves was.

They were born and raised to the best way to hunt with BP, every one around them the same.

They had access to the same grades of BP as we do, They had access to the same sizes of shot as we do.

The end result = Shoot them in the HEAD !

A hundred years ago here comes smokeless powder, better ignition systems, modern chokes, plated shot and such - The improvements were substantial, the result in this quantum leap in technology = Shoot them in the HEAD !

You come up with a better idea to kill a Turkey and float it by the members and more than a few of those members have much more experience than you and the result is the same - Shoot them in the head.

Why would you want an alternative to the best way of doing something.

Perhaps your engineering back round is over shadowing one of life's greatest teachers - HISTORY

Hunting skills are honed by years of hands on EXPERIENCE - not by shooting tuna fish cans on Saturday mornings.

Listen to what others have said and - Shoot them in the head !

In many States, my state of Michigan included, It is illegal to use a rifle to hunt turkeys. Also #4 shot is the largest that is legal to use on turkeys in Michigan as well as some other states.

These restrictions are geared to lessen the wounding of birds. A single pellet of #4,5,6,or 7 1/2 shot to a turkeys head or spine in the neck will kill the bird. As tough as a turkeys body is they are very vulnerable in the head and neck area.

Flintlock-bird.JPG

One of the biggest challenges of turkey hunting is to call the bird in close enough to take him with a load of shot to the head/neck. This is the tried and true method to kill a turkey with a gun.

Killing a turkey with a bow shooting a broadhead arrow is another matter. A body shot to the butt of the wing going into the vitals ...or a center shot from the rear is the best method.

:grin:
I think you may be suffering from the same thing that a few other posters on the thread suffered from...this thread isn't about head shots and that's been pretty clearly stated and explained more than once.
:grin:

I already know all about head shots...I cobbled together a .62cal, had it jug choked, did my load development for head shots, then killed turkeys with head shots, works great, etc, etc, etc.

But this thread is about exploring something new rather than just doing the same old thing over and over...if I just wanted to kill turkeys the easiest way possible I'd just use my Remington 1187 special purpose turkey gun which hasn't been out of its case for the past 10-15 years and make head shots all the time.

Instead I'm always looking for more challenges...1187s to caplocks to Flintlocks, now head shots to different shots...looking at reliable alternatives...for example, its already well known that rifles have long been used on turkeys...and some here have posted their successful loads using very large size pellets, etc...that's what the thread was about.

I get that you only believe in head shots and I'm fine with what you decide to use... :wink:

I love spring turkey hunting....almost as much as I love hunting deer in the fall. There's nothing like when that gobbler answers my attempts to mimic a love sick hen. And then when he starts to come my way my heart starts doing flip flops in my chest. When he comes into view and I see him in all his glory, fanning and strutting, with the morning sun shining on his bronze plumage, it feels like my heart is going to jump right out of my mouth.

With a rifle I could shoot him at 50 yards or more and it would be all be over, but I need him to be close so I keep purring on my slate to get him in range of my flintlock smoothbore.

Getting close is what it's all about with traditional weapons. Whether it be a flintlock gun or a traditional longbow or recurve. Closing that distance is where the challenge is at. When he's at a range that I know my shot pattern will take him I put the front bead on his head and trip the trigger. When the smoke clears and the bird is flopping on the ground, my adrenalin rush is about as high as it can get. With a shot to the head/neck I know that he's down for keeps. A shot to the body even with heavy shot is risky and I'd rather not chance a wounded bird.

I will never get bored to the point of trying a different way to take a turkey than the way I described. Call me funny.... that's just me I guess... :idunno:

Early%20morning%20encounter%20(2)-1.JPG

I have to agree the ole heart rate gets going when they take a liking to your calls and the closer the better for me 10-15 yards.

now at the end of the season when I haven't hunted much (fool things like work get in the way) and I haven't got a bird in the bag yet ...well I have had a thought or two about a rifle ball would be real handy 'bout know and there hung up at 50 yards ...

I'd say that was very well put. :thumbsup: But, exploring new ways of doing things is what keeps the advancements coming.

NTWF,
Your love and respect for this beautiful animal are the underlying reasons why you don't want the bird to suffer more than it has to. Has just a bit to do with losing the bird or ruining some great tasting meat too.

You have the pure, clean and right idea my friend.
You could not have said it better

Depends on how you look at it, when growing up in south Texas on my grandma's farm we had turkeys coming out of our ears and we shot turkey to eat them, not so much for just the sport of it, if you had told me that I'd be spending money on calls and decoys back then I would have thought that was crazy and a huge waste of money (which it is I guess). We killed birds with what we had on hand even if that meant 7 1/2 shot, like I stated I have never lost a bird but I know my limitations and was a very patient and sneaky kid. I think if it means you are not going to fill a tag if you pass on a body shot then you should take it, only if it is from behind, remember there is alot of spine back there plus the vitals. Now that I am older I use alot of that silly stuff (decoys and calls) it's fun, and most of my turkey hunting is done calling them in and using head shots, I also enjoy using a small rifle, and I'm sure I'll shoot a turkey someday with it in the body and I'll go collect it and eat it just like I had shot it with a shotgun in the head, I think alot of people get hung up on what they think is sporting and what is not, and alot of guys only hunt for the sport with the meat as a nice perk, I live out in the woods and I have tons of oppurtunity and I think that skews my thinking as well, so to each there own, and good luck to everyone no matter how they choose to take those old birds. Now things I don't encourage are shooting a bird from the side or front with a shotgun or shooting a bird in the body from any other angle but a shot to the base of the neck or wing with a rifle,(from the side)this ensures no edible meat destruction (unless you like to eat those little wings. I must also say that I have seen more than one guy shoot a turkey in the head and neck region only to wound it, but to be fair the shots were way too far away, that is the main malfunction no matter where you shoot the bird.

Back