• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

turkey load for 12ga blackpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheerluck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 12ga double and I was wondering if anybody has worked up turkey loads for one?
forgive me if this is a subject that has been dealt with before, I am new to computer stuff. in fact using a cap lock is new to me as I usually shoot a .62 smoothbore flinter. Thanks

I took a tom last spring with my Navy Arms double .12. I used 95gr Pyrodex RS and 110 grs
(1 1/2 oz) of #5 lead shot. Only way you will know what patterns best in your gun is to pattern it on paper though.

How about a 2&3/4 dram load of FFg powder, overpowder card, cushion wad, lubed, overshot card, 1&1/4 oz #5 shot, and over shot card. Patterns around 45-50% at 30 yds, which is 5 yds longer than I want to have to shoot at a turkey. On Turkey targets, I get a minimum of 5 pellets in the head and neck areas at 30 yds.

Thanks guys this gives me a place to start. I have a friend with the land... he saw 17 turkeys yesterday. I hope there is a tom in there somewhere.

I'd stick with your 20 bore flint gun....you can load it just like a 12. Just make sure you hang on to it when it goes off! :haha:

I guess that would work.... I could get two at the same time... the turkey in front and the one sneeking up from behind. :haha:

The CVA 12 ga. double I took my first blackpowder gobbler with worked well with 3 1/4 drams 2f Goex and 1 1/4 oz #6 shot.

sheerluck said:
I guess that would work.... I could get two at the same time... the turkey in front and the one sneeking up from behind. :haha:

I did that a few years ago with my 12 ga. T/C New Englander. I had it loaded with 100gr. FFg Goex & 100gr. #5 magnum shot. It was just getting light & turkeys started flying down off roost all around me, landing just out of sight. I started calling & getting answers from at least three different toms, in three different directions. I turned in the direction that sounded like the closest tom was. After a couple minutes he appeared in full strut. I squeezed off a shot & down he went. I jumped up & hurried over to where he was. As I arrived I noticed a movement to my left & turned to see a second bird (a jake) flopping around.
OOPS! :nono: You're not supposed to take two birds in the same day during the spring season in NY, but it was an accident. I didn't even see the second one until I noticed him flopping on the ground.

Please stop the turkey talk guys. It's five weeks away here in kentucky. I'm trying to block all turkey hunting thoughts out of my head until it gets closer. I can't sleep at nights thinking about it. I hunted 19 out of 21 days last year, missing the 2 days because of severe storms. This will be my first year hunting with my new muzzleloader though so the excitement seems like it is doubled this year waiting on season to come in. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE........

kyhunter said:
Please stop the turkey talk guys. It's five weeks away here in kentucky.

Aww, don't mind him guys. I got 10 weeks ta wait yet, and I wanta hear it all-shot cups, wads, shot buffer (benefits of muffin mix vs cornmeal). Come on guys, I need ta get a decent turkey load...

-Riley

Come on guys, I need ta get a decent turkey load...
The only way to do it is to go out and spend several days at the pattern board. I've had SXS guns that each barrel required a different load to shoot a good pattern. Getting a shot gun to pattern correctly and consistantly is one of the hardest chores to do with a muzzleloading gun.

Hope you ate the evidence... :rotf: :rotf:
btw...I had a bud that did the same thing a few years back...we were hunting together...we just put one of my tags on the bird and kept quiet...dang if I was going to let it waste... :hatsoff:

I've got the same problem, Riley...we don't open up till may 3rd here in NH, and I haven't shot my flinter since smugler's notch! The sleepless nites haven't begun yet, but sunday I saw about 30 birds and seven were big longbeards that made me drool.
I use 80 grs 1F, nitro wad, felt wad, shotcup & 120 grs of buffered copperplated #5's. The shotcup & shot I take right out of winchester supreme 2-3/4 12 ga shells. It's not pc for a flint, but birds can't tell- they just fall over dead!

Mike is 100 percent right.. and if it warms up for turkey season, go out and pattern it again.. a large temperature increase can blow patterns as you will get more power in warmer weather,and some lubes will be slicker, combining these will give more velocity.. .. if you find a good load you can tweek the powder amount for weather.. keep good notes, and shoot what works for that general days temps.... dave..

Back