• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

turning a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
We were setting around the toolroom today discussing how octigon to round barrels we turned. I would like to know if they use a mandril between centers on a lathe, also do they use CNC lathes or tracer lathes any and all ideas would be welcome P.S. I have no intention of makeing one just want to know. thank for the info ::

It's easy to do on any good metal lathe by adjusting the tailstock to get the taper you want. That's how I turned the barrel for my wheellock pistol. It's octagonal to semi-octagonal to round with a 'wedding band' and a slight flare at the muzzle.

Well while we are talking about making barrels...

What kinda material would work for making a barrel for a 12 ga bp smoothbore. Seamless tubing? 4140? I've noticed a lot of breech plugs are made out of 1018 mild steel.

Making a smoothbore would be a lot less work than a rifled barrel.

Back