• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two days two bucks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too bad the second one was a spike, I thought it was a big doe so I ended up giving it to my neighbor's son, he put his tag on it.

Last Friday and Saturday and Sunday I rested my sore back!
4pointerstewartlandNYnov282008.jpg

SPIKESALISBURYMillsnov2920082.jpg

Nice deer and excellent shooting. They will make good table fare. :thumbsup:

Billy Lo said:
Too bad the second one was a spike, I thought it was a big doe so I ended up giving it to my neighbor's son, he put his tag on it.

Don't tell the Wildlife Officer.

:v

HD

Hi Billy Lo,

congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany to these nice two bucks.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Huntin Dawg said:
Billy Lo said:

Don't tell the Wildlife Officer.

:v

HD

That's what I was thinking too. "Party hunting" is illegal here, don't know about NY. Congratulations.
Idaho PRB

Well done.
Good looking sling on that rifle, too.
Would you tell me where you got it?

Good shooting (and eating!)

Don't want to be an alarmist, but I know of one active DEC warden and one retired who are active here (neither is from your region). I doubt either would home in on your "passing the buck"; but you never know.

I can tell you I have seen many young NY bucks who must have been pretty aggressive in removing their velvet as the spikes were snapped off to under 3" . . . almost like they'd been hit with a rock or sumpin. :shake:

Stumpkiller said:
I can tell you I have seen many young NY bucks who must have been pretty aggressive in removing their velvet as the spikes were snapped off to under 3" . . . almost like they'd been hit with a rock or sumpin. :shake:

I forgot about the 3" rule. I seem to recall seeing a few little bucks with their horns broken back in the day.

I tell ya them little bucks are some fighters!

:wink:

HD

I didn't measure the one antler but it was close enough for me to look to tag it as a buck and my neighbor came on over and said he'd gladly take it. Done deal, everyone is happy, except me because I wouldn't have shot it had I known.

I passed on a 4 opening day so we'd get some bigger bucks around here as well as many doe because they were heading towards stands my friends were in. Two weeks into the season and I had no meat in the freezer so that first 4 pointer didn't have a chance. I had clear shot and I took it. Second one either but its what can happen when hunting with iron sights. I'll bring stronger bino's next time and hope the sun isn't in my eyes.

Valid question, you shoot a spike that is say just at or over the 3" limit with one horn and you already tagged a buck. What are you supposed to do surrender yourself with the deer to the nearest DEC officer or give the deer to another hunter in the woods with you you has an unfilled buck tag and gladly wants it? I suppose some guys would let it rot or break the antler off with a rock but thats not for me.

Seriously what are you supposed to do because I can't find anything in the "BOOK" on it?

You did good Billy. At least the deer won't go to waste. Some guys might have just left the deer laying in the woods instead of taking care of it like you did.

:thumbsup:

HD

Back