• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two thin patches make one thicker one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a bunch of stuff to start shooting my new rifle. Made at least one mistake in my purchase. The balls I bought are too small a diameter I'm sure, and it's too far to take them back. I did buy a variety of patch thicknesses though. Can I use two patches together to equal a thicker one? Or does that cause problems? What do you know? ::

How much too small are the balls? If it isn't like you bought .375's for a .50 cal. then a thicker patch should work ok. You can use 2 patches as long as you can start the ball and ram it down with them.

If you're trying to fit a .440" ball in a .50 caliber, no, you'll probably never get a proper fit. What is the rifle caliber, what size ball and what is the patch thickness?

The normal case is a ball that is 0.010" less than the bore size. Too thick a patch won't hold up under the pressure and heat of the blast.

Hi R-708...

It's been my experience that you can get just about anything out of a "Smoke-Pole" that you can put in it... but doing it with accuracy and consistency is an other story all together!

While doubling up on the patches will undoubtedly do the job of seating your round and building up pressure to move it back out- you'll likely see a wide range of pattern with your target... so if your just shootin' to be shootin' then load away- heck use 3 patches if it helps to hold the ball better... but if your loading for when the shot counts- then I recommend 1-patch with one (properly sized) ball.

Good shootin'...P-C :m2c:

I bought .490's for the .50 just to try, as it is a conical twist rifle. I don't know if the diameter is really too small or not, just by holding the ball at the muzzle with my fingers. It is a new gun to me so I haven't loaded it with anything yet. I got .005's and .010 patches, so I think I'll be OK one way or the other. Thanks.

That size ball (.490) will work fine. You said you bought several types of ticking. Try them all to see which gives a nice tight fit and good accuracy.
:thumbsup:

A .490 or .495 ball is the size you want for a .50 cal. You should be ok with the .010 patches, but will probably have better luck with a .015 or .018.

The last 2 posts are right on the money! You can use 2 patches if you want. Pour in powder, then take a patch, seat it on the powder, then, load a lubed patch and ball on top of it. This is the same as using a fiber wad to protect the main patch from burnout. I used this on a gun that was cutting the main patch. Also, can use a piece of hornets nest! This isn't what your question was, but more for general info.

Too thick a patch won't hold up under the pressure and heat of the blast.

:huh:

The issue is solved, but.

If it had been a large difference, say .050", the patch collapses and allows blow-by, and doesn't grab the rifling. Things will come flying out the end of the barrel OK, but the accuracy will be schrecklich.

I seem to recall that Marshal Ralph Hooker in his book "born out of season" spoke of something like that. As best I can recall,(no longer have the book) he was shooting a .375" ball in a .44 rifle. Something like that. He said those who claim it won't work have never tried it and I can say I've never tried it either.
However, we all can agree that different folks have different expectations as to accuracy.
This is my favorite graemlin :results: because it's so true.
AND what the H is "schrecklich"? ::

See that's what I love about this board, now I'm learning another language! :thumbsup: :redthumb:

Latest posts

Back