• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1858 trigger too light?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting fix, relationship of the two fingers of the spring: Found that reducing the tension by reshaping bolt side spring finger then tighting screw down all the way, increased trigger pull to 2.5 lbs.. Tension on bolt side has to be enough to keep bolt from bouncing out under recoil. It was about 3 times as heavy as my Vaqueros.. Appears if bolt side is too heavy, it takes tension off trigger side... Still have not fired it, doing Kirst conversion now....

Call Taylor's and ask for the "GUNSMITH", nice guy, he is a professional and will help you.

I've seen all the complaints about too heavy triggers on 1858, my new one from Uberti has 1.5 lb. trigger pull. tightening trigger/bolt spring screw does little but increase bolt tension against cylinder...And running main spring screw in did not change it either. I suppose I could take T/M spring out and put more of a bend into trigger side of spring. But, wonder how long that would last. Would like at least a 3# pull for a recreational revolver like this, without excessive bolt pressure making deeper drag marks on cylinder.. any experience here appreciated...
if you curl up spring more tension if you flatten a little less tension.. i did it to mine is very smooth now.. also before the last two clicks were together now i get 3 clicks perfectly timed

I've seen all the complaints about too heavy triggers on 1858, my new one from Uberti has 1.5 lb. trigger pull. tightening trigger/bolt spring screw does little but increase bolt tension against cylinder...And running main spring screw in did not change it either. I suppose I could take T/M spring out and put more of a bend into trigger side of spring. But, wonder how long that would last. Would like at least a 3# pull for a recreational revolver like this, without excessive bolt pressure making deeper drag marks on cylinder.. any experience here appreciatedL
Let me encourage a safety test for you to try on your gun. Fully cock it then with a piece of wood or rawhide hammer smartly rap the frame ahead of the trigger guard where their is good mass and no chance of marring or deforming any metal. If the hammer drops then we have an unsafe condition that needs correcting. This usually means a file and stone dress of both the trigger nose and full cock notch on the hammer. Often new guns will have wire edges on these contact surfaces that need dressed off or re-set. The interface angles between hammer nose and trigger sear face need to be equal, square and make full width contact.
I generally have to install a lift under the full cock notch on the hammer that partially reduces the contact height of the interface to safely reduce the pull weight and creep. It must pass the knock off test previously described for the arm to be deemed safe.
Never cut down the full cock notch height of the hammer or your trigger sear/nose will catch on the half cock notch and bugger both.

Let me encourage a safety test for you to try on your gun. Fully cock it then with a piece of wood or rawhide hammer smartly rap the frame ahead of the trigger guard where their is good mass and no chance of marring or deforming any metal. If the hammer drops then we have an unsafe condition that needs correcting. This usually means a file and stone dress of both the trigger nose and full cock notch on the hammer. Often new guns will have wire edges on these contact surfaces that need dressed off or re-set. The interface angles between hammer nose and trigger sear face need to be equal, square and make full width contact.
I generally have to install a lift under the full cock notch on the hammer that partially reduces the contact height of the interface to safely reduce the pull weight and creep. It must pass the knock off test previously described for the arm to be deemed safe.
Never cut down the full cock notch height of the hammer or your trigger sear/nose will catch on the half cock notch and bugger both.
I should clarify that on trigger and hammer interfaces I use diamond files and stones designed for hard steel cutting and dressing not steel cutting regular tooth files.
My wife is always after me for not being more specific when answering questions or describing things .

Back