• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti repo 1862 police

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firelock

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Uberti repo .36 cal. 1862 police and I need some help, first of all what should I load in this little jewel, second the hammer has a notch for the rear sight and a bead front and it shoots real high, I installed a larger front bead still shoots high. So far I have been using 15gr 3fff ox-yoke wad,.375 cast rb. While I was at the scene of the Battle at the Big Horn I saw a similar piece in the museum and I have been told that Custer carried a brace of these :bull: Thanks for any info you can post. :thumbsup: Shoot black powder :wink: Firelock

The gun will shoot all the powder that will fit in the chamber and still allow a ball to be seated on top. Accuracy will depend on what the gun likes best but is usually less than a full chamber full of powder. You'll have to experiment a little to see what works best. The modern percussion copy the original sights whhich were officially set for 75 yards...it was an Army thing! :haha:...this causes them to shoot high as you've experienced. Recently, Uberti has begun to add higher front sights to bring POI back to a more usuable range. Just play with it and find out what it likes best. Good luck.

Wes/Tex,

Where did you find the data on the 75 yard POI? I have looked all over the place and can't find any real info on the subject.

Thanks

Can't offer any info on your pistol, but some reading about Custer says he owned several pairs 'braces' of pistol including a pair of English-made .44's (supposedly w/him at the Last stand), 1860 and 1861 model Colts also. he was reputed to be a 'crack shot' with his pistols.

firelock, I have the "62"pocket police,6.5"barrel,using the same powder,ball,wad combo as you did, with about the same results...high by 8-10 inches. Between checking Lymans loading tables and running a ballistics program it looks like the little beauty zeros at about 100yds. peaking +13ins. at 50yrds. One more thing to test at the range! I sure hope these colts bring us better luck than they did Custer.

Thomas Hawkins said:
Wes/Tex,

Where did you find the data on the 75 yard POI? I have looked all over the place and can't find any real info on the subject.

Thanks

I believe it was in Major George Nonte's "Shooters Bible: Black Powder Guide". This is an early volume from the mid to late 60's and I'd have to do some serious digging to find it now. It may have apeared in other works as well but I can't tell you for sure off the top of my noggin!

Supposedly Custer was carrying a pair of Webleys at the Greasy Grass. Depending on the source, they were either Bulldogs or Royal Irish Constabulary models. The 1862 Police is a nice gun, and Custer may have had a pair, but by 1876 he would have been unlikely to carry them on campaign.

"Custer says he owned several pairs 'braces' of pistol including a pair of English-made .44's (supposedly w/him at the Last stand), 1860 and 1861 model Colts also. he was reputed to be a 'crack shot' with his pistols."
GUESS THIS IS WHERE I GO :rotf: :rotf: I READ HE SHOT HIS OWN HORSE INTHE HEAD HIS FIRST BUFF HUNT! :rotf: :rotf: FRED :hatsoff:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I wonder if he caped the horse..........
I have No kind words to say about Custer....he was a war Criminal here in my state of West Virginia in the the war of Northern Aggression,,,
he shot many of our partisan fighters in the head after he captured them......he should have been hung way before the indians got to him....

Sounds like he had a thing for head shots.What was his famous quote " where did all these ******* indians come from" could'nt of happened to a nicer guy! :thumbsup:

Well you'll like this then ,that was while hunting Buffs and the bull walked up to him and he just looked and looked and got worn out watching ol "C" ..his pants and walked off. :rotf: (it seems he had this thing about shooting his own horse in he head, wonder how hard was it to find a horse to volunteer to carry that trash? Fred :hatsoff:

Shooting your own horse by accident isn't all that uncommon. Lawrence of Arabia did the same thing in a cavalry charge.

Getting back to the original post and Wes/Tex's comment about 75 yards being the range many C&B guns are designed to shoot at, I don't have a quote to justify it.

I did run my ballistics program for a .36 cal gun shooting a .375 dia ball with a muzzle velocity of 800 FPS and find that if the gun is sighted in for 75 yards, it will be hitting about 3 inches high at 15 yards, 5 inches high at 25 yards, 6 inches high at 40 yards, 4 inches high at 60 yards and 0 inches high at 75 yards.

The 800 FPS muzzle velocity is about what a 23 grain load in a 5 inch barrel revolver will deliver according to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook.

zonie :)

:bow: Thanks Zonie, thats just the info I needed on the 36cal, mine has a 6" so thoes no. should be right on the money :thumbsup: Thanks again Firelock

Your welcome! :) But remember, these are just numbers generated by a computer program.

Pistols do weird things because they are short and light weight.
Where a rifle is somewhat predictable as one changes their powder charge pistols can be a different breed. Sometimes increasing velocity by increasing the powder charge will actually lower the point of impact because the bullet leaves the barrel faster (or so I've been told). :grin:
zonie :)

Back