• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unboxing disappointment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just sick about the whole thing. This is the most I’ve ever spent on a gun. The bad thing is that I tried to gently tweak the ramrod to see if it would fit tighter and it snapped :( I don’t know what to do now
Caleb,

It's understandable that you feel bad about it. That's a lot of money! However, you bought that particular gun for a reason. There have been multiple posts on this forum by people who own the Pedersoli Trade Musket and like it a lot.

The chips around the barrel pins were the initial concern, and possible justification for returning the gun. The broken ramrod may complicate that. If the dealer has a website, they might have their "Return Policy" posted there, so you can get an idea what to expect when you speak with them. Some vendors charge a restocking fee, and you may want to see if that is mentioned in the returns policy. A call to the seller is the next thing to do. I would be up front and courteous with them. If they tell you to send it back and they issue a refund, all is good. If they charge a restocking fee or only a partial refund, only you can determine if it is worth it.

If they won't accept a return, or if fees are excessive, you got yourself a trade musket, which is what you wanted in the first place. Again, several forum members have these Pedersoli Trade Muskets, shoot them, and like them a lot. It sounds like the ramrod was junk anyway, and realistically, it's probably better that it broke when it did rather than in a shooting session on the range. A split or broken ramrod can give you a pretty serious hand injury. You might be able to salvage the threaded tips from the factory rod, if it has them. You can use a half-inch hickory dowel (a straight-grained ramrod blank) as it is for a practical range rod, until you get a properly fitted and decent quality rod to fit the ramrod pipes, and a full-thickness half-inch rod will be easier to hold for ramming, anyway. There are ways to fix the chips around the barrel pins, either by filling them in or shaving the wood down. A lot of people like to refinish their Italian guns anyway, and this may make an interesting project.

Pedersoli locks are not the best sparkers, but they can be made to work. Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading is an expert at this, and he told me in a phone call he has reworked lots of Pedersoli locks. I understand there are gunsmiths at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio who can do this type of work also. This may cost you $100-$150 but will be well worth it. A poor flintlock can be a real aggravation, but a properly tuned one is at least as reliable as a percussion gun.

Let's hear what the dealer tells you, and go from there.

Notchy Bob

Caleb,

It's understandable that you feel bad about it. That's a lot of money! However, you bought that particular gun for a reason. There have been multiple posts on this forum by people who own the Pedersoli Trade Musket and like it a lot.

The chips around the barrel pins were the initial concern, and possible justification for returning the gun. The broken ramrod may complicate that. If the dealer has a website, they might have their "Return Policy" posted there, so you can get an idea what to expect when you speak with them. Some vendors charge a restocking fee, and you may want to see if that is mentioned in the returns policy. A call to the seller is the next thing to do. I would be up front and courteous with them. If they tell you to send it back and they issue a refund, all is good. If they charge a restocking fee or only a partial refund, only you can determine if it is worth it.

If they won't accept a return, or if fees are excessive, you got yourself a trade musket, which is what you wanted in the first place. Again, several forum members have these Pedersoli Trade Muskets, shoot them, and like them a lot. It sounds like the ramrod was junk anyway, and realistically, it's probably better that it broke when it did rather than in a shooting session on the range. A split or broken ramrod can give you a pretty serious hand injury. You might be able to salvage the threaded tips from the factory rod, if it has them. You can use a half-inch hickory dowel (a straight-grained ramrod blank) as it is for a practical range rod, until you get a properly fitted and decent quality rod to fit the ramrod pipes, and a full-thickness half-inch rod will be easier to hold for ramming, anyway. There are ways to fix the chips around the barrel pins, either by filling them in or shaving the wood down. A lot of people like to refinish their Italian guns anyway, and this may make an interesting project.

Pedersoli locks are not the best sparkers, but they can be made to work. Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading is an expert at this, and he told me in a phone call he has reworked lots of Pedersoli locks. I understand there are gunsmiths at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio who can do this type of work also. This may cost you $100-$150 but will be well worth it. A poor flintlock can be a real aggravation, but a properly tuned one is at least as reliable as a percussion gun.

Let's hear what the dealer tells you, and go from there.

Notchy Bob
Thanks for this really helpful reply.

Here's my take... The pin holes shouldn't be chipped and the ramrod should fit bitter, but there are WAY bigger issues with design and quality of workmanship in general. I wouldn't like the pin holes and ramrod, but the other giant shortcomings would trump this.

Give us 6 months and we'll have a way better kit available for the same money or less.

Jim
can't you hurry it a little Jim? I may not have another 6 months!
and i am sure i don't have 6 months of patience ! insert smiley face!

I have some doubt that Pedersoli is to blame. It is likely that you have a previous return from someone who buggered up the pinholes. Anyway, it is unacceptable unless the seller will offer an appropriate discount.

I have some doubt that Pedersoli is to blame. It is likely that you have a previous return from someone who buggered up the pinholes. Anyway, it is unacceptable unless the seller will offer an appropriate discount.

Here's my take... The pin holes shouldn't be chipped and the ramrod should fit bitter, but there are WAY bigger issues with design and quality of workmanship in general. I wouldn't like the pin holes and ramrod, but the other giant shortcomings would trump this.

Give us 6 months and we'll have a way better kit available for the same money or less.

Jim
So you're adding a Trade Gun kit to your line?

Better pray you do not have to deal with Pedersoli CS direct. I had to deal with them with a major issue I had with my $600 Harper's Ferry .58 flint pistol. As new it would fire maybe 2 out of 10 attempts ? Long story short the absolute WORST designed lock (specifically the hammer arc travel) . I pleaded my case with Ped via emails and asked if they could rework the lock for better ignition , and I was told "There's nothing wrong with the lock they work fine" in broken english / Itialian translation.

I believe this was a return rifle because the only way the pin holes would be bitched up is by some one trying to get them out and back in again I don’t think it was Pedersoli fault , don’t get me wrong i am not sticking up for that company because I have gotten over priced Junk from them before. Not saying Your Rifle is junk by any means, But if they won’t refund you the chipped up pin holes and ramrod are a super easy fix for sure. Hang in there I feel your pain because I have been there many times with sleepless nights because money don’t grow on trees.

I never did get the new ramrod I ordered for mine to fit properly yet. It was supposed to be for the gun and made by TOTW, but it was tighter than tight.
It fit fine in the winter/spring when I got it, but then froze up when I went to remove it a month ago or so. I had to use a pair of pliers and a hammer to remove it.

A ram rod fits the best when it has a warp to it that is what primarily holds it in place, if you talk to some of the older gun builders they will say the same but the thing has to be sanded to go through the thimbles with ease dispite the weather, pacanis your ramrod was just not the right diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back