• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer periods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcb_1983

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
I'm very new to the bp thing and I'm having trouble finding info on under hammer rifles. I'm a blacksmith and would like to have a go at making a under hammer rifle in 45(because i got the barrel for free). What I cant find out is where these rifles fit into a time period. I know this is probably an easy question but there isn't many people shooting black in my area.

any help is appreciated.

Regards

I wrote a post several months ago. What is an underhammer. Basically the earlies known underhammer in a museum is 1795 or so. It is a flintlock underhammer. I'll see about finding my post and putting a link.

What is an Underhammer

Your welcome. Please post your project when you get it started. There are a number of Underhammer fans here who'd like to read about it.
:hatsoff:

gmww said:
Your welcome. Please post your project when you get it started. There are a number of Underhammer fans here who'd like to read about it.
:hatsoff:

Underhammers, is that what happens when your side hammer comes loose and falls off? :youcrazy: :blah:

As was mentioned, there were underhammers in the 18th century but as I understand it, they were an oddity then. They didn't really seem to catch on until sometime in the late 1830s after the Percussion ignition systems became popular.

Welcome to the MLF :)
Zonie

For percussion, the middle 1830's. They were kind of regionally popular. A number of gunsmiths in the Vermont/Maine area built them, more than anywhere else. In fact one in Vermont used prison Labor. Can't remember his name right now. Suzie at Muzzleloaders builder Supply sells a simple cast action to build them, about $60 bucks as I recall. Bill

By chance you don't happen to have a link for Susie's company do you? :confused:

Nevermind I found it. :thumbsup: Fred you got to check these out!
Underhammer frames

We ran a post on these a while back, remember I was going to send one to John to drill for me , Ive been covered up in other uh and Hawkin stuff, and now he's doing the 62 cal Zep barrel.... you should post the newspaper ad from 1838 for Zonie since its out of Hansons Hawken book. :winking: FRED :hatsoff:

Hopkins & Allen prodced the most recognized underhammer. Probably because of Numrich's marketing of replicas during the early years of the muzzleloader renisance. They went into production in 1830. I've no idea how many they may have sold. :winking:

I'll probably build an action from scratch and heat treat the action so I can switch barrels without wearing the plug out. The only trouble is finding decent timber for the stock. Another question? what sights would fit the period of a rifle for around 1830, I like tang sights but will it fit the period.

regards.

kcb 1983,

I have made actions out of aluminum, brass and cold rolled steel. They haven't worn out yet.

If you do decide to heat treat the action, remember to "Draw" it back.

If you google Hilliard Underhammer in the image search you will find one at aution. It has this strait metal bar the starts at the barrel and protrudes towards the stock. Interesting sight.

the steel I'd use would probably 4140 hardened and then triple tempered at 400 degrees C. That will ensure a tough reliable action that if I do the job right will have a nice fire blue.

I checked out that hilliard rifle that tang sight looked cool so I'll probably make something like that.

thanks again

regards

Baird even said buy H+As before you do a T/C because its more pc in his second book! FRED :hatsoff: ZONIE see if you can get GMWW to post you the 1838 ad for underhammers from Hillard wanting some of the Hawken/ Plains rifle sells "its a whoot" what ever a whoot is ,I just made that word up I guess. FRED :hatsoff:

OK, ok, ok. I'll drag my sorry butt upstairs and scan that add in for yah! :rotf:

i THINK THEY WILL GET A KICK OUT OF HOW IT WAS WRITTEN. FRED :hatsoff:

Here it is. I appologize for the quality and size as that's how I got it. I think it is still readible. I'll let Fred explain what it is.
394346.JPG

394349.JPG

Its a newspaper ad for all kinds of underhammers by Kendal, hes claiming his are as good as any plains rifle orcan be built to your specs, if you read carefully youll see it can change barrels even a double shotgun, and its been used by " have been tested by a large portion of the First Sportsmen of the country","have attained a celebrity superior to any otherin use" On and On! Imp stud lock..Single and double barrel rifles and smooth bores,rifles, and fowling barrels "fitted to the same stock'!! SEE is better than any even the Hawken! I do love this add...... thanks GMWW fred :hatsoff:

Back